View Poll Results: How much money in coins would you say is in the bowl on your counter right now?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • HK$ 20

9 27.27%
  • HK$ 100

9 27.27%
  • HK$ 250

4 12.12%
  • HK$ 500

11 33.33%

COIN QUESTION

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Store/ Restaurants refuses to take coin value 50 cents and lower because bank charges extra handling fee for depositing coins. But if you walk around their store/ look at their menu, most of their merchandises/ dishes are priced at the dollar to prevent complains from difficult customers.

I worked as a PT cashier in Vancouver back in university, the manager make us unroll and count pre-wrapped coins to make sure it's not stuffed with trash in the middle. Perhaps this is why bank doesn't give out wrapper?

You just need to spend your coins at chain grocery stores, or for transit.

Last edited by jslam; 04-10-2010 at 01:40 PM.

and one person I know uses the film roll canisters and sticks them in his back pocket.

PITA if you ask me...
    Put them in the front pocket then....

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Put them in the front pocket then....
    Too noisy....

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    I have seen kids using ziplock bags to keep their coins in and one person I know uses the film roll canisters and sticks them in his back pocket.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That's what I do with foreign coins and money from different countries (US, EURO, Stirling, etc.) into small ziplock bags to keep them separate and so that I can use them the next time I travel there.
    For local HK coins, I make purchases under HK$100 with Octopus and over HK$100 with Visa, so I only have few loose coins. On occasions that I received 10c 20c 50c coins, I gave them to the office clerk to buy me postage stamps. So I do collect unused postage stamps instead of loose coins, and I occasionally still use those stamps to send letter to my parents as they don't use computers or emails.
    By the way, I also buy postage stamps at foreign airports so to get rid of the loose coins. Airlines now don't always collect coins and you have to ask them to take it.

yes, banks will take it... at least hsbc does... BUT you have to go to a large branch and you have to separate them and... and.... and... it can take hours for them to count them all and verify the amount.

my kids collect coins. they manage to collect about $1500 every 6 months or so. when things get desperate, then we delve into the piggy bank. we usually use them to pay tolls, bus fares etc.