6 days a week?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

6 days a week?

Hi

I'm moving to HK for work next week and I've been told in HK it is a 6 day working week! Is this correct?

deleteduser

More like 5.5... Saturdays are until 1pm

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

And many employers are on a 5-day week - usually businesses that are not retail and/or don't have to deal much with the public - regional/corporate offices, foreign non-retail banks, multinational corporations - hard to generalize.

Yeah, it really depends on the company. Some companies, strictly five days a week and you'll be out the door by 6. Some other companies, everyone sits around pretending to work even when they have nothing to do, just cuz their job advice book told them to "leave 5-10 minutes after your colleagues," as a result their weekdays stretch out into the late nights and their half-day Saturdays turn into full days.

deleteduser
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyQ:
    Yeah, it really depends on the company. Some companies, strictly five days a week and you'll be out the door by 6. Some other companies, everyone sits around pretending to work even when they have nothing to do, just cuz their job advice book told them to "leave 5-10 minutes after your colleagues," as a result their weekdays stretch out into the late nights and their half-day Saturdays turn into full days.
    Hahaha true that! I know someone whose work day is literally 10.5 hours during the weekday! It's sick!

what is a working week ? do some people have time off ? really?

6 days a week? of course not. our company only work 5 days a week. You should clarify with your boss

of course not.
    Hardly "of course not." Of course I wouldn't say an overwhelming majority of jobs in HK demand a 6-day work week, but it's there in all industries at most levels. You're just lucky with your company. Furniture, right? Most retail or wholesalers demand a lot more time from their staff.

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Question Really?

6-day work week?....maybe for the retail sector, but even there the staff work in shifts, and get paid extra $$$ for overtime and holidays...

For the corporate world it's definitely 5 days (5.5 if they're pushing it!)

Last edited by Max; 05-06-2004 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowlight:
    Hahaha true that! I know someone whose work day is literally 10.5 hours during the weekday! It's sick!
    This kind of work hours is quite normal in HK/Taiwan isn't it?

What about vacation days? 10? 15?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast