I'm new to HK! Want to meet new friends!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR:

I will be taking up a position in HK in mid January and obviously looking at meeting new people. Can you suggest where a "forty something" male could hang out? Also where are some mid-price type accommodation that is handy to HK Island?
    20 minutes on the MTR will take you a LONG way so you have many options on finding a place to live. It is a never ending theme, anyway. I would suggest focusing on what you want in the way of accommodation and neighborhood, and take it from there. Some areas are very local, others crawling with expats. Hong Kong is a big city--I am alsways finding expats looking at me as it they wish they could say hi...then quickly darting eyes away in that sort of big city isolationist kind of way. I probably do the same!

HK Island is more cosmopolitan (in general) than Kowloon side, but there are exceptions both ways. It can also be noisier and smoggier. There is a definite snob appeal thing. Areas often not thought of include Jordan and Kowloon Tong on Kowloon side. Worth checking for rents about 10k less, depending.

As for hanging out, depends a lot on whether you are the singles bar, sports, or other type. Personally, I find the best way to meet people that you don't mind giving up that prescious comodity--time--to is by getting involved in something--a class (language, dance, art, fractal theory) can be good and it doesn't lock you for life (the way some clubs do).

Give a shout when you're over. Always happy to pass on a few tips.
    JJ

Smile helpful website

try networking, I was new to HK 5 years ago and learned that the people you meet in the first 3 months will not necessarily always be here for me, you constantly have to socialize and be out there to keep meeting new people... so anyway, <snip - snip> or contact me..

Last edited by KnowItAll; 09-09-2004 at 01:22 PM. Reason: no dropping urls ...

Wink Nice to meet you !

Hi,

I am Andy, 29, m, working as business consulting in HK. Nice to meet you, feel free to write to me should you need any help.

e-mail : [email protected]

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by newylp:
    Hi,
    I'm new to HK. I travel a lot to many cities in China and HK for business. Our company just set up a new office here and I was assigned to HK since two weeks ago. I work too much actually so I want to meet some new friends in order to balance my life here. I'm 30, f, (too old?) working and living in Wan Chai. Who else needs friends in HK? Let's get together!

Thanks!

Lets do happy hour next week? Hopefully we have some big news and reason to celebrate.

Rani is expecting again?

Wink Reach out

Hey all,

I'm here in HK for a long while - until I either to find myself or lose myself.

I'm 24 m, from Montreal, Canada where I spent most of my life living hard, working hard and playing hard. "Moderation in everything, including moderation" - LS

I'm half-chinese and my parents met here and left. I'm here visiting family and family friends, and getting a grounding here, developing a routine, getting involved.

I've been here for 2 months, had some interesting meets and outings, but I'm interested in other perspectives. I'm very curious what gets Expats over here, and I'm even more curious what keeps them here.

Get in touch and maybe we can meet for a beer. If you can keep up with me, it'll be 2. If I can keep up with you, it'll be 3.

Hahaa...no!

Even *bigger* news.

Hi , I'm new to HK too..well I've been here a couple of months now and liking it (well mostly)but it'd be good to meet other newcomers so if you'd like to meet up for a coffee or drink that would be good. I'm female,37 (so definately old!!!) and working as a midwife here in HK and as opposed to everyone else who seems to be working too hard I'm having a much easier time here...a break from the good old NHS!
    Jo send me a message initially and we'll arrange from there.

>> 37 -- old

Nah ... some of us resemble that remark.