Like Tree3Likes

Animal Welfare & the food we eat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Animal Welfare & the food we eat

Just wanted to bring this to people's attention in case you are interested. I have been avoiding eating meat killed on the mainland but did not know that Hong Kong slaughterhouses were so poor in terms of animal welfare too.

In anticipation of the usual tirade from certain members of this forum, yes I know that slaughterhouses can be bad the world over, that I probably shouldn't be eating meat at all if I care so much etc. etc. etc. I just want to share this information so people are aware.

New report calls for HK's animal protection laws to be updated, as published in the SPCA magazine, Issue 80 / Aug-Oct 2010. The following is an excerpt talking about a recent review of Hong Kong's animal related legislation, pertaining to slaughterhouses in particular.

"The review noted serious failures at local slaughterhouses to meet basic animal welfare standards. Slaughterhouse workers routinely hit animals with electric goads on power cords, sticks and pipes, and tie up the legs of pigs, with injuries, to force them to hobble up ramps to slaughter pens. Animals can be overcrowded, suffer from heat exhaustion and are not provided with constant access to water.

The voltage used to stun pigs is also lower than that used in other common law jurisdictions, potentially allowing for animals to still be conscious of pain when stuck and hoisted. The welfare of most animals kept on local farms and sold at wet markets is also inadequately protected."

And your point is?

If you want cheap meat the sure but it from China or locally but you're not exactly likely to get Animals treated ethically.

Or buy imported meat and again no guarantees about ethical treatment. Barring turning vegetarian what are you going to do?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    And your point is? Posted via Mobile Device
    Just what I said it was in the post. To make people aware who are interested and/or who care.

Personally I will now try to only buy imported meat. Yes, no guarantee against animal cruelty but at least I believe there is a better chance that the animals are treated well. I know that the legislation on the actual slaughter is better in certain countries that I buy from - i.e. method/procedure of killing / voltage used etc.

And yes, my decision. As I said, only posting for those interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice:
    Just what I said it was in the post. To make people aware who are interested and/or who care.

Personally I will now try to only buy imported meat. Yes, no guarantee against animal cruelty but at least I believe there is a better chance that the animals are treated well. I know that the legislation on the actual slaughter is better in certain countries that I buy from - i.e. method/procedure of killing / voltage used etc.

And yes, my decision. As I said, only posting for those interested.
    maybe you should look into this before making your statement. you making decisions based on 1 article. GO KOSHER!!

Wouldn't the reputational risk for the large supermarkets to sell food from very poor slaughter houses be just too high for very poor conditions to exist.

Try and speak to a slaughterhouse directly.
    www.nfh.com.hk

Not sure why getting a product from an unknown process from further away would feel better. Some sort of negative proximity bias.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Wouldn't the reputational risk for the large supermarkets to sell food from very poor slaughter houses be just too high for very poor conditions to exist.

Try and speak to a slaughterhouse directly.
    www.nfh.com.hk

Not sure why getting a product from an unknown process from further away would feel better. Some sort of negative proximity bias.
    Yes people may be put off by a lack of hygiene but animal cruelty I doubt. Out of sight, out of mind. Eating meat involves cruelty, but unfortunately it tastes too good. That cruelty could be minimised but I guess I am an average shopper, when I am in the wet market or supermarket it is price and quality that count. Never give a thought to the animal that died for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Yes people may be put off by a lack of hygiene but animal cruelty I doubt. Out of sight, out of mind. Eating meat involves cruelty, but unfortunately it tastes too good. That cruelty could be minimised but I guess I am an average shopper, when I am in the wet market or supermarket it is price and quality that count. Never give a thought to the animal that died for it.
    If the HK slaughter houses were cruel / dirty then at some point it would get picked up by the press in HK.

The Gov publishes data see links below. I would trust a HK Government official to carry out their duties properly above most other developed countries.

http://www.cfs.gov.hk

Yummy. Must go by a local butcher on my way home. I feel so sad for the poor little pigs that have to die for me to get my supper. Why must they taste so gooooood?

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    GO KOSHER!!
    Or halal.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    If the HK slaughter houses were cruel / dirty then at some point it would get picked up by the press in HK.
    On a slow news day, maybe.

I reckon this issue is not one of great importance to the general public* (with the exception of animal rights groups). I think that if animal slaughter laws are being skirted around, it would be picked up by the media after they go after offenders of animal abuse laws (where household pets are concerned), which would occur to me as a story that will sell more papers.

*Non-judgemental observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice:
    Imported meat has to get here somehow. That means more pollution that ends up in the sea and air, thus killing more wildlife. Have you thought it through?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast