minimum fee for credit card

Closed Thread

minimum fee for credit card

is it legal for stores to require you spend a certain amount before they accept credit cards? based on my online searching it appears to be so in the United States.... what about hong kong however?

There are plenty of restaurants around my building that only accept credit card if you spend $200 or more. Sorry I cant answer if its legal or not, but it is quite common.

Yes, I believe it is legal. They can also offer you a discount for cash.

Further, merchants must NOT set any minimum spending limit; they must honour all cards properly presented for payment, even for transactions of small amounts. Allegations of a minimum $200 or more limit have been raised against some merchants.
    Consumer Council HK August 2008

However, the consumer council in Hong Kong doesn't have the sharpest teeth in the world...

or in some small shops when you ask to pay by CC, they add a few % on top, u can refuse to pay by CC but if you insist then u need to pay the fee (Also Illegal I think but shops still do it).

I had one shop try to add 2% when i try to use EPS, told em to get stuffed and didnt buy the goods.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 02-10-2010 at 10:43 PM.

None of what you are talking about is illegal. It may be contrary to the contract between the merchant and the credit card company, but there is no law in this area. If you have a problem with it then you need to take it up with the credit card company, but I doubt they will regard it as in their interest to make life difficult for the merchants.