Bad smell in apartment

Unhappy Bad smell in apartment

Ok, weird question, but here goes.

There is a bad smell that keeps appearing and reappearing in my apartment from time to time. It's hard to describe the odor - it doesn't really smell like rotting food, but the closest thing I can come up with is rotten cabbage. The smell is unrelated to messiness and dirt - my house can be completely clean, and the smell will rise up from one room or another. In fact, it has most frequently come from a bathroom (no it is not an effluent smell!). I have never smelled this odor prior to coming to Hong Kong, and this apartment! Do you think it could be caused by damp? The bathroom it is in never has any mould growing, as (typically for Hong Kong) it is encased in marble with very little grout. At times the smell has even seemed to be coming from an air conditioner, even though I've had the filters cleaned recently.

Has anyone else experienced a mysterious Hong Kong apartment smell? Can you advise me on getting to the bottom of it? I don't want to just cover it up with air freshener, and ventilation (eg opening the window) doesn't help at all.

We had a problem with this in our bathroom. It was caused by grease and hair getting clogged up in the drainpipe. We use a solution to unblock the drains once a week, and the problem's gone. It was kind of a rotten egg/sulfurous aroma.

Or it could be those never maintained building drainage pipes running behind bathroom

excellent suggestion, thanks!!