Tips for postman, taxi-driver etc?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beth Danae:
    Guys, I think you're missing out... When for .50 US you can put a big smile on someone's face. A real jolt of cheer, you should try it.

'Missy, thank you, thank you, thank you...' said my driver just this morning...

As far as how it affects others who are supposedly 'adapting to culture' you ought to think through the issue and decide for yourself. If you are ok with your choice you should be able to confidently step out of the cab, change in hand, despite any frown on the face of the driver who just dropped me off somewhere...
    I think most people are going to smile when you randomly give them money. If you come up and give me a few dollars I will even smile. Since you are most likely the only person to tip these people in that month or maybe years that is why they are grateful. Your arguement is that it improves their living standard. IMO .50 US is not going to improve their living standard, and will most likely go towards a newspaper or horse racing ticket.

Bottom line is no matter what you do you can't make everyone happy. I myself being from another country try to respect the local customs and culture the best I can. Why? Because I expect the same (and think I see alot of it) when they come to my country. By offering tips here in Hong Kong I feel like you are sending a message for Hong Kong to be more American.

Remember....you tip the wrong person here and they are going to get mad and start swearing at you. Your kind gestures may soon backfire.

As far as how it affects others who are supposedly 'adapting to culture' you ought to think through the issue and decide for yourself. If you are ok with your choice you should be able to confidently step out of the cab, change in hand, despite any frown on the face of the driver who just dropped me off somewhere...
    Yeah do what you feel is right and ignore the naysayers, By the way we tip in other countries too, the americans are not alone.
    if someone does a good job and puts a smile on your face why not tip. I've had good taxi drivers and awful ones who take the longest route possible I tip the good ones (oh and no-one has ever been upset at getting a tip off me).

Several of the food delivery companies and pizza hut encourage tipping, so its not totally foriegn.

Be yourself and treat others how you would like to be treated thats my motto so tips are welcome here.

Quote Originally Posted by towercity:
    Yeah do what you feel is right and ignore the naysayers, By the way we tip in other countries too, the americans are not alone.
    if someone does a good job and puts a smile on your face why not tip. I've had good taxi drivers and awful ones who take the longest route possible I tip the good ones (oh and no-one has ever been upset at getting a tip off me).

Several of the food delivery companies and pizza hut encourage tipping, so its not totally foriegn.

Be yourself and treat others how you would like to be treated thats my motto so tips are welcome here.
    Good post tower city. I feel good when I have received a good service, so I tip. They feel good for getting the tip. Everyone's happy.

Different culture... different expectations

Personally, I'm very careful who I tip though, depending on what country I'm in.... In HK and China, I've actually had a couple of offended waiters return tips, where they explained good service should have been provided anyway, and no tip was necessary.

It seems to be a cultural thing, and sometimes I've been given the feeling that it was offensive to suggest that good service was provided only in the expectation of a tip. Having said that, I do round up to the nearest on things such as taxi fares etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JBest:
    Everyone's happy.
    Except the people who come after you who will now get pressured for a tip that they would prefer not to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by towercity:
    treat others how you would like to be treated
    Indeed - and the way I would like to be treated is to be paid a fair salary to do a job to the best of my ability. I dislike bonuses and commissions as well - if I do a good job pay me the agreed salary. If not get rid of me.

Quote Originally Posted by ingenue:
    spent a long time in new york (tipping is the norm),
    Norm? You will get dirty looks, scowls, growls and almost chased down the road

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Except the people who come after you who will now get pressured for a tip that they would prefer not to offer.
    They should be happy in the knowledge that they have stuck to their principles in choosing not to leave a tip. You mentioned earlier that other people leaving tips makes you feel uncomfortable when you choose not to leave one. OK. However, I feel uncomfortable not leaving a tip when I have received good service for something. So we get back to the position that people should do what they feel best.

Why would I feel pressured to leave a tip because someone else has?

I would have thought some form of self identity and that whole being an individual nonsense that they teach you as a kid would have taught you not to really feel peer pressure ...

>> I dislike bonuses and commissions as well

You might have been driven to suicide if you worked for Goldman Sach's this year ...

Last edited by KnowItAll; 16-12-2006 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Why would I feel pressured to leave a tip because someone else has?
    I meant that the recipient would get used to receiving tips and start expecting them and hence either providing poor service if they felt they weren't going to get a tip or pressure at the point of payment for a tip, which can ruin an otherwise good experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    You might have been driven to suicide if you worked for Goldman Sach's this year ...
    Maybe that's why I don't work for companies like Goldman Sachs.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast