Moving to Cheung Chau

Closed Thread

Moving to Cheung Chau

After lived many years in the city on Hong Kong Island, I have decided to move to Cheung Chau for a change of scenary, fresh air and more affordable housing.

I have searched the forums here and havent found too much info about life on Cheung Chau. Hope somebody could fill me in on a couple of questions I have.

1. About how much would a 1 to 2 bedroom flat with a balcony cost to rent nowadays?
    2. Is there a Wellcome or Park n Shop on the island or only small local shops?
    3. What if I need to have furniture or other big / heavy items delivered to the island? Will people only drop it off at the ferry pier and I have to manage to get in on and off the ferry by myself?
    4. Is there a monthly ticket available for the ferry and how much does it cost?
    5. Is there a Gym on the island? (a small local one will do)
    6. I know there are many seafood / chinese restaurants, but what about other restaurants?

I would be grateful for any answers and other tips you might have.

You're moving somewhere without knowing anything about it... and without even going there to find out whether you like it?

I have lived in HK for about 20 years. I know what I like and want. I like Cheung Chau. I just want to get some more detailed info.

Is that ok?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by chilli:
    1. About how much would a 1 to 2 bedroom flat with a balcony cost to rent nowadays?
    2. Is there a Wellcome or Park n Shop on the island or only small local shops?
    3. What if I need to have furniture or other big / heavy items delivered to the island? Will people only drop it off at the ferry pier and I have to manage to get in on and off the ferry by myself?
    4. Is there a monthly ticket available for the ferry and how much does it cost?
    5. Is there a Gym on the island? (a small local one will do)
    6. I know there are many seafood / chinese restaurants, but what about other restaurants?
    since you have lived in hong kong for so many years, you dont need anyone to tell you that cheng chau is small and a quick visit will answer most of your questions, if not all.

Sleeping pills and Charcoal, my friend. That's all there's to it.

Quote Originally Posted by chilli:
    I like Cheung Chau.
    But you don't like it enough to actually go there, and see whether it has supermarkets or non-Chinese restaurants? Honestly this is a weird question.

Its not a deal breaker if there is or isnt a bigger supermarket or if there arent non-chineses restaurants...and of course Ill go there soon again to look around...i just wanted to get some more insight of anyone living there...
    Posted via Mobile Device

20 years? Anyhow, there is a flagship Citysuper right by the pier carrying the freshest of imported produce for a discount. The beach is also pristine. Wonderful place to live.

Seriously?

Agree - Cheng Chau - if you don't mind the commute is good. Most everything you need is at the Pier in central or just inside the IFC2 you can easily pick it up and bring it with you as you travle back and forth via ferry.