Like Tree1Likes

Photography laws in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Photography laws in HK

Hi,

I'm a advanced amateur photographer that takes a lot of street photography. Here in UK it's free to take photos of pretty much anything on public streets (even though some security people see it different) according to the law.

Now, I'm considering to move to HK and just wondered if anyone know how the laws is? So the senario is that I'm on a public street and taking pictures of people walking along. Is this OK according to the law or is there some restrictions? If you have a link to a government page about this then that would be great so I can read up on the subject.

Note that I have a rather scary looking DSLR which has a tendency to attract a lot of security people that just kindly want to make sure its not co-financed by our neighborhood terrorist group so I just want to know my rights before they start to "section 44" me

cqz likes this.

Basically the law here is the same as the UK, and you get the same problem with private security guards. If you're standing on a public street then, in principle, you can photograph anything, with very few exceptions: national security, invasion of privacy (a long lens looking into someone's apartment window, etc). Lots of people here have DSLRs so that's not a problem per se.

Got a visa (or right to reside here) by the way?

Thanks for the instant reply

Thats sounds good, Do you know a government site that I can read this? I don't mind getting approached by security since they can be handled easily with a smile and polite conversation, as long as I know that I have the law on my side. But I'm very glad to hear that is allowed since HK seems like a double rainbow for street photographers. So looking forward to start shooting there.

No, no visa yet. My dependent visa application is in the hand of the chinese consulate and I'm here 4 weeks later praying that they have sent it

The HK legal system is the same as the UK one in that "anything that is not prohibited is allowed". So you can go here for the complete set of HK laws, but there's no law that tells you what you are allowed to do!

I'm guessing that someone like Alex Hofford would be happy to give you a quick response on his experiences as a photographer in HK (and around the region).

(Apologies Alex if you're reading this and really didn't want that! )

Last edited by PDLM; 28-10-2010 at 10:02 PM.

I received a 300 pound fine (a lot of money in the 1980s) for taking photos in the street in the UK! Photos of neo-nazis, considered provocative and therefore a breach of the peace.

Ah, thats actually a very good thing to know, it allowed if not prohibited. I'm sure I'll be fine then. Guess I'll learn the hard way no matter what And I'll not bother poor Alex But thanks for the info.

And I'll put up a follow up question, and sorry if it's bit grim, but is there a lot of homeless people in HK? Now, its not to be mean to the poor fellows but I'm doing a theme on Homeless people and how people react to them (Some examples) and I wish to continue this in HK too.

To be fair I hope I couldn't do it because everyone had a home but reality is different then my imaginary perfect world so i though I'll do a photo-book and give the profits to a charity for homeless instead. Would make me feel better at-least (selfish as I am)

The street beggars in HK look rather more desperate than that rather well-dressed guy! However, many of them are part of begging syndicates from the mainland who aren't necessarily homeless, but are used by people who feel that HongKongers are an easy touch for some cash. And some mainlanders who have been victims of accidents of various sorts are put on the streets by these "pimps" like some sort of freak show.

Last edited by PDLM; 28-10-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I received a 300 pound fine (a lot of money in the 1980s) for taking photos in the street in the UK! Photos of neo-nazis, considered provocative and therefore a breach of the peace.
    Wow, thats terrible! That is a horrible way to use the breach of peace law just to get to a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The street beggars in HK look rather more desperate than that rather well-dressed guy!
    Hehe, thats true, guess he was a posh begger being close to M&S and all But that picture is more focused on the old lady on the phone I think you are thinking more in the lines of this maybe?

Maybe, although the ones in HK aren't often passed out through alcohol or drugs. Alex Hoffard did a series on the HK Homeless. He uses Flash (annoyingly) so you need to go here: http://www.alexhofford.com/node/6 then to screen 4 and then click on the Hong Kong homeless link.

Last edited by PDLM; 28-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast