Like Tree10Likes

HELPER: live-in vs non live-in

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    So really i was asking where to find a person who is not a HK local, but able to work as a DH and not live in home.
    There are many out there that have dependant visas and/or permanent visas that would be eligible to work as a DH live out. However, they will be a lot more expensive than the minimum 4K that most DHs will accept. They wont want to work for such low wages most likely due to the fact that they could work in other places (eg :service industry, tourism, hotels etc) at much better wages.

HC
    BenderBends likes this.

@HC...good point. but even with a dependent visa their skill set might mean they are available at lower cost then a full time HK local and not able to fullfill other sectors. im just looking at options. not saying i want dirt cheap labor, but i also want to shop comparatively

no..i didnt think that the way expats live are in the majority here. that being said, having 2 kids the same age/sex share a room is one thing. having a grown woman/man share a room with a young child is another thing. i dont mean that in a pedo-bear way...i just mean different hours of sleep time, different "lust" needs, different forms of entertainment....etc
    I have colleagues who have helpers who sleep in the same room as the kid. I agree with what you're saying, but if the only other alternative is the kitchen floor, then, comparatively speaking, it doesn't seem so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    I have colleagues who have helpers who sleep in the same room as the kid. I agree with what you're saying, but if the only other alternative is the kitchen floor, then, comparatively speaking, it doesn't seem so bad!
    For anyone that saw my earlier post re sleeping on the floor. Apologies. Too harsh. Rightly deleted.

On above point, I do know local families in housing estates that have the maid sleeping on the kitchen floor. It's not a practise that has completely disappeared in HK by any means. The reality is there are tons of local families where both parents work 12 hours a day 7 days a week and need a maid even though they don't really have space. Both parties win. For some of these women a HK kitchen floor is still better than a shack floor in the Philippines. Unfortunately.

For the OP - if you are willing to pay more than the minimum wage of 3.5k or whatever it is and/or break the law by having a part time maid, you can find whatever you need. You can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to having a maid in HK.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    You can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to having a maid in HK.
    sadly thats not true...considering people do hire these maids at 3.5K and make them sleep on floors.

no..i didnt think that the way expats live are in the majority here. that being said, having 2 kids the same age/sex share a room is one thing. having a grown woman/man share a room with a young child is another thing. i dont mean that in a pedo-bear way...i just mean different hours of sleep time, different "lust" needs, different forms of entertainment....etc
    The kids having a room of their own is a luxury that many can't afford and also not what all want. On the living room floor of our house in the Phils sleeps: the helper, a sister in law, two of the three kids, a nephew, anyone else who happens to be stopping over.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    The kids having a room of their own is a luxury that many can't afford and also not what all want. On the living room floor of our house in the Phils sleeps: the helper, a sister in law, two of the three kids, a nephew, anyone else who happens to be stopping over.
    true...i understand people have lesser means.
    and i dont want to get into any debates about whether or not those without means should have children (or numerous children) to begin with. but yes...i agree there is situations where rooms get crowded and have no other space to accommodate.
    to each their own POV on whats considered "worth it" i suppose.
    Skyhook likes this.

true...i understand people have lesser means.
    and i dont want to get into any debates about whether or not those without means should have children (or numerous children) to begin with. but yes...i agree there is situations where rooms get crowded and have no other space to accommodate.
    to each their own POV on whats considered "worth it" i suppose.
    We gave our eldest a room of her own, she mostly used it for storage and still slept with the others.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by dtb:
    Also posted on Page 1 and Page 2.