Like Tree71Likes

Women only trains on MTR

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Generally speaking, it is far too simplistic, in my opinion, to say that if something works in one place, then it should work elsewhere too. Most of the world's problems would not exist if such were indeed true.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Giles- what other countries operate women-only carriages? I've not noticed the idea outside of Japan (and even there I've not travelled in peak hours, which I assume is when these carriages operate).
    Indonesia (Jakarta, earlier this year), India, Malaysia, Taiwan, Dubai, the Philippines and Brazil.

Original Post Deleted
    Where do you draw THE line?
    Train for Women only? but then also office for Women only and the list goes on.

You treat the problem at the SOURCE: EDUCATION., NOT after.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    There will always be one or two dumbass who are excited by smelling a 16 years old hair
    Yeah but a bigger problem if it's a midget.

what about a train for straight men only. im sick of getting groped on a crowded train by men who must be gay if they are bumping into me and looking at me. there are no coincidences. and we should all get ID cards with orientations so that we can only be boarded on correct trains.

seriously though...how many of these "offenders" are actually perverts compared to them bumping into you since its a crowded moving train? ive bumped into countless women, men and children, but its not on purpose and its a very unfortunate groping that in 99% of the cases I wish to erase from my mind. sometimes i smile and nod at the bumpee, only because im politely acknowledging the situation....which doesnt necessarily warrant a "im sorry" speech.

are you saying next time i do this, i should be very careful as one of you might start screaming at the top of your lungs making an awkward mishap into an extremely uncomfortable public chastising?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Indonesia (Jakarta, earlier this year), India, Malaysia, Taiwan, Dubai, the Philippines and Brazil.
    As far as I understand those in Manila are for women, children and the elderly and were introduced because of overcrowding rather than groping.

To me this is a woman issue... I may have an opinion but I don't believe it really matters because as a man, I don't have to put up with the crap women do every day therefore I'm not really in a position to judge whether it's warranted or not.

However, I believe that women have a right to it if THEY deem it appropriate or necessary. It really shouldn't be up to men to make these kinds of decision since we're the source of the problem. If a majority of women don't want it then so be it. Perhaps a user poll from the MTR corp would be the most sensible thing to do...

It's all good to say that it doesn't solve a problem but I don't believe that men will really ever change their ways. There are things that will never go away and women being harassed by jerks is one of them. Prosecuting after the fact is no consolation to the victims.

There have been women-only seating on public buses in many Indian cities, but the problem of perverted men/crimes against women was severe at the time and might still be. Further, it was a short-term solution that did not seem effective as men often took up available seats in the women's section, so enforcement became another problem.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 01-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.

It's because of incidences where men who intentionally do inappropriate things can claim that it was an accident that prevent women from speaking out about it or draw attention to the matter.

There will be cases when unintentional bumping occurs but I'm pretty sure most women know the difference between that and when a pervert is leering at her constantly or the difference between accidental grazing and full on groping.

Many posters comment that they haven't heard about this being a problem in Hong Kong... well you're hearing about it now!

To say that women are being paranoid or making a big deal out of nothing is the exact reason why I would prefer to have a women's only train in the first place...

gilleshk likes this.

@giles: Yeah, it is kind of interesting that most the respondants here have been guys. Slightly surprised by the lack of women chiming in.

For what it's worth, I've been groped by guys a several times in the past on public transport or in bars (I guess that's Sydney for you). It's always been very surprising, but a firm response has always sorted it out. Probably because I'm a guy, I can afford to find such incidents vaguely amusing rather than disturbing.

Last edited by jgl; 01-11-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast