Like Tree1Likes

DIY Hiring a Helper - Info needed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY Hiring a Helper - Info needed

Hi All,

I'm currently about to do the paperwork to hire a helper. As the person is someone my wife and I know from thailand we are going to do all the paperwork ourselves and not use a Helpers employment agency.

All looks quite straightforward but am sturggling to find a blank copy of the Employment contract - ID 407.
    ..The copy on IMMD website is for reference only. Can't seem to find a link to a blank one anywhere. In addition to this, the guide states that 1 copy of the contract ID 407 must be signed by the relevent Consulte if applicable. But does not give any more information on when this would be applicable of not?

So can anyone help with a blank copy of the employment contract ID 407 and also does anyone have moe info on getting a copy signed by the relevent consulate?

Thanks

On the consulate, I know you need the consulate to sign the contract if they are from the Philippines and I am pretty sure from Indonesia but no idea about Thailand. Ring the consulate would be my advice on that. You can get the form you are after from Immigration Tower.

Yep, green contract forms in quad-uplicate are available from the IMMD in Wanchai (along with all the other forms that you need to fill up...). Not seen them online and since there is a serial number involved, I suspect they're only distributed at IMMD or through agencies (who probably pick them up in bulk)

Got to watch out for the consulates. Some of them might insist that you go through an agency (since I suspect there are some arrangements with the agency owners). No clue about the Thai agencies / consulate.

Last edited by shri; 02-11-2010 at 12:50 PM.

thanks guys,
    Looks like I need to take a trip to Img. Tower then for form ID 407.

If anyone else knows if Thai's need the contract signed by the Thai consulate please let me know.
    ..If not I'll check when I got to Img. Tower.

I would think the Thai consulate will need to chop and approve the contract before Immigration accepts it.

On the Thai consulate side they DO need to chop&sign the employment contract. Cost is HK$120 and it takes 1 day to process. They are very unhelpfully closed from 1-2pm so no chance of popping in during your lunch break.

I need your help with 2 final points;
    1. We need to submit a reference letter with the application from someboby who can vouch for the helper. As my wife already knows the helper, would it be allowed that my wife writes the reference letter? (Does a conflict of interest apply in this type of thing?)

2. On the helpers application she needs to show at least 2 years of domestic helper experience. For past 3 years she has been working for Standard Chartered in Bangkok as a clerk / assistant. I realise this isn't DH work but can I put this on the form as relevent experience anyway? How strict is this requirement that a domestic helper must have already been experienced for 2 years? I can't beleive that every new DH inHong Kong has already been a DH in their home country for 2 years!!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlay:

2. On the helpers application she needs to show at least 2 years of domestic helper experience. For past 3 years she has been working for Standard Chartered in Bangkok as a clerk / assistant. .
    Is a life in HK as a maid really better than an admin banking job in Bkok? Sounds bizarre.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Is a life in HK as a maid really better than an admin banking job in Bkok? Sounds bizarre.
    Yep, what I'm paying is better and she get's to live in a nice apartment plus have a safe and generally comfortable lifestyle. Plus good opportunity to see a bit more of the world and learn another language.

Cool. Life in Thailand can be rough. Good luck with it.

I am also going to DIY, anyone know anything more about consulates insisting that you go through an agency? I have heard the Indonesian consulate do this but have not heard anything about the Philippine consulate being difficult. You'd think they want to encourage you to employ their nationals...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast