How to select Internet Service provider?

Closed Thread

How to select Internet Service provider?

I have recently moved to HK and will be staying in Tung Chung from next week. How to select the best internet connection? I went thru website of PCCW but it is not clear enough...any suggestions?? and also for mobile phone connection, which one is better-pre paid or postpaid?

We use HKBN in Tung Chung. Its ok, but not great for visiting internet sites abroad. But then again I generally find internet for foreign sites to be slow in HK regardless of if its HKBN or PCCW.

I'm using PCCW 30 Mbit. Consistently fast, good for access to the US as well.

If you do any BT overseas, don't even think about using HKBN. I had just joined HKBN's BB100 plan 2 days ago, comparing their 100MB versus my PCCW 30MB service; I get about 10 better performance on PCCW service.
    The reason is HKBN puts a cap on your service if you are doing any BT overseas, the reason to my understanding is that HKBN has a very low bandwidth to overseas. For example I understand PCCW has a 92GB connection to US for example and would imagine that HKBN has a much smaller connection to US.
    And HKBN customer service/technical support is terrible. I had some problem connecting my Mac to the internet, so I called their customer service; the customer service was unable to answer my question and had to have someone from their technical support in 48 hours. I exclaimed and said WHAT? And the customer service person asked me, well does it work with your Win7 notebook. I said yes, but now I need to do something with Mac right now. And her simple answer is, well it works Win7; so there is nothing wrong with our service. It has been 30hrs now and I am still waiting for a call back from their technical support.
    So before you think of joining HKBN like me, I wish I had read on a forum somewhere; someone giving the advice I am giving you now. DONT DO IT!!! Now I am stuck with a 28 contact and they will not allow me cancel it even it is only 2 days in the service and I am a unhappy customer.