Like Tree23Likes

have job offer in HK but in two minds about moving there. Can you please tell what you like/dislike about HK and please try and give me an insight to life there?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Impossible for us to say really as everyone is different. Most like it, some are mixed and some hate it. It all depends on you.

You can always go back to Ireland. how many time do you have tje opportunity to come and work in HK?

i think that's your main question.

The only people I know who have come to the HK/South China region and not wanted to stay are the type of people who wouldn't be happy anywhere but home.

Take the leap is my suggestion!

Football16 and bookblogger like this.

Do it now, because you can. If you don't like it then just leave. Better to have done it, not enjoyed and returned home than to have not come out here at all.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Football16 and Loz_2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd:
    hi,

I'm hoping someone can give me an insight into life in HK.. ....

I'm a single 25 year old Irish guy and was hoping you guys could let me know everything you like/dislike about HK?
    Economically it is wiser to come to Asia and start networking and learning the business environment there. The economic situation in Euroland will worsen before it improves, so your position in Ireland may not be secure.

HK is a world city but more than that it has a unique energy to it. There is no place like HK. It is cosmopolitan and has national communities from all over the world. You can decide if it would be an asset to make contact with these communities either for social life or business.

It has excellent public transportation and conveniences, and all you need do is step outside your door to find anything you need.

The downside is that it is quite congested. If you are a quiet person who likes to be able to sit and contemplate philosophy, then you may find yourself searching in vain for an oasis of tranquility. For a writer or poet or artist, a smaller, quieter town may be more comfortable.

Since you are young and college degrees don't give any worldly knowledge, I would say it is time to learn as much as you can about the diversity in the world. The only way to find out about a place is to put your feet on the ground there.

Let's be frank here - if I were young and single, one of the primary reasons to move here, IMHO, would be the women. Perhaps you don't 'like' Asian women, but assuming you do, HK women are generally quite attractove and seem, on available evidence, to be pretty forgiving when it comes to choosing gweilo boyfriends. It certainly seems a better place to be a single white guy than Ireland (I mean no offense, being Irish American myself).

OP: have you ever been to HK? If not then I think it's better that you visit this place before you make a decision. Personally I like HK very much but what I have heard from many local Chinese is that they prefer to live in Europe. For every person that likes HK there is another one that want to leave. So it's better that you don't rely on other persons' expereince but your own.

Skyhook and dear giant like this.

You are 25 and single, I'd seize this golden opportunity to see the world before having a family. With a wife and several kids, it wouldn't be that easy then. As others pointed out, you'd rarely regret things (except for committing crimes) that you did, but you'd usually regret things that you did NOT do...........what if?

Last edited by Renotommy; 06-11-2010 at 01:49 AM.

I moved out to Asia when I was 25 and have never looked back. Had an absolute blast and, ten years on, am still here. It might seem a bit scary at the time, stepping out into the unknown, but when I look at the life I have led and everything I have done over the past ten years compared to my friends at home, I feel exceptionally lucky to have been given such a great opportunity.

Agree with the others. You can always go back to Ireland, you may not get that many opportunities to try living in Asia. Besides, the world is a small place and nothing is forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Freetrader:
    Let's be frank here - if I were young and single, one of the primary reasons to move here, IMHO, would be the women. Perhaps you don't 'like' Asian women, but assuming you do, HK women are generally quite attractove and seem, on available evidence, to be pretty forgiving when it comes to choosing gweilo boyfriends. It certainly seems a better place to be a single white guy than Ireland (I mean no offense, being Irish American myself).
    Very true but no matter if you are local or "foreign", even if you look like you've been caught in machinery at some time, as long as you can "pay the bills" you will have no worries women wise. Maybe im a cynic.
    Freetrader likes this.