Vermin in your apartment!!???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vermin in your apartment!!???

I've recently moved to the new Harbourview Horizon Hotel in Hung Hom, which many of you might have seen the advertisements for: 9,990 for 618+sq ft, 2 bdrms, 6-12 month lease. Didn't really expect too much out of it, in consideration of the price, but then again, it has been builit by Cheung Kong, and you sort of expect them to do a decent job of it.

There has been several mishaps moving in to the apartment, but their staff have not been very knowledgeable in any matters so I've let it pass. I do find it ridiculous that their front desk staff know next to nothing in terms of helping residents settle in and I'm not surprised if there has been a flurry of complaints.

Cheung Kong has almost seemed far to eager to move people in, perhaps even before the place has been thoroughly checked that it is livable. Most recently, I've had a vermin incident in the apartment where all my food and bags in the kitchen cabinet have been knawed into. And mind you, it's not little chews, it's big, teethy holes that make it obvious it must be mice, rats or something of that sort. I called the managment office and they came to assess the situation, told me that there's a hole in the back of the cabinet somewhere that had not been sealed properly and that was that. They didn't bother asking if I needed compensation for all my now inedible foods, or bring in pest control. What with all that SARS, virus fear in HK, you would think that they would immediately switch a room for me, apologise profusely and provide the best possible service so I just let the situation rest and not file a complaint and instead compliment their staff on dealing with the situation appropriately.

Instead, they have sought to cover up the situation and refuse to admit that there was any sort of vermin. They suggested perhaps it was just a cockroach. Ok, not quite sure a cockroach can knaw into hard foods and creat perfectly round holes that have teethmarks...I definitely was not pleased with the unprofessional attitude of the staff who did not bother to show any concern whatsoever about my wellbeing. It may be a self-service hotel, but it does advertise itself with the 'hotel' title, and with that comes certain obligations.

Now I'm left with the fear that there's a family of rodents lurking in the back of my cabinet. But I didn't bother to further argue with them...until I found the same occurrence the next day, except that more things had been ransacked as if the 'creatures' had gone on an angry rampage when someone tried to seal the hole. Apparently, they had done such a half-hearted job that the hole was still accessible.

At first they did not even ask if I would like to change rooms, nor did they want pest control to come and figure out what has been knawing at my food. Till now they don't even want to see it as their fault and I have had enough. I asked to speak to someone of higher seniority but the current staff insist that they can deal with it and won't give me a number or email where I can file my complaints. I'm just about ready to report to the health authority/housing authority but have been patient so far since I'd rather not go to more trouble. Obviously, it'll be bad press for Cheung Kong if this leaks out so they want to cover it up, especially with the recent bad press they already have in the sub par quality of an investment in China.

So, here I am venting, and any similar situations/how you've dealt with it/how your management dealt with would be much appreciated!!

Mariposita,

Go to the authorities straightaway. No point dealing with the management if they are obviously not going to do anything about it. As far as I'm concerned...you've given them chances to do something about it already and they're not really doing anything about it. So why bother to wait and see what happens...Remember, those things multiply real quick too...

i'd write a formal complaint outlining the measures that the current people have or have not taken. then tell them that a copy of the letter has been sent to the relevant authorities as well as the consumer council. i would also say that if the matter is not resolved within the next X# of days that a copy of the same letter will be sent to the South China Morning Post.

that should light a fire under them

good luck!

i would also outline ALL of your grievances, not just the rat problem... bot obviously that would be the icing on the top!

get traps..

I'd buy some traps right away and include the receipt with your next rent check and the deduction. You might need some type of plastic bin with a tight lid to put the rodent(s) and trap in.

I have had to dispose of 2 live rats in 2 different places (New York and Kansas City). There are 2 crazy stories behind them but back to your issue - the key is to trap them so they don't cause more damage to your stuff. If I can catch these things, you can too! I

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location

Is it just me or is it that most (or all) Cheung Kong developments have had niggling problems being reported all the time by angry and frustrated residents?

But what do you do with the rats after you catch it? My parents' place had a rat once and dad set up a trap and after it was caught....he drowned it...I was so mad with him and so were the dogs!

Hmmm...I'm just a little scared of having to catch a live rat myself. KIA, will take your recommendation in mind. Only thing is, apparently no one has seen the actual creature yet so I'm worried that the management is going to evolve a bunch of lies if no evidence is found. They are still trying to give me the whole 'non-existence' thing and portray me as being the difficult one.

So, I'm going to ask them to write me a proposal on what they intend to do so I have it in black & white and they can't deny anything. If they don't reply in a couple days, I'm going to write my own letter saying I've given them time to provide me with blah blah blah and they haven't done so, so I want to know what their next step is. Pass it on to the person in charge at the front desk and sign it to prove they've receive it and ask them to pass it on to their senior personnel (and of course keep a copy for myself).

Really annoying that I can't just quickly resolve this situation! I'll give them that one last opportunity otherwise I'll definitely send out a formal complaint.

Max: Is it really bad with Cheung Kong properties? I swear I've never had so many problems leasing a place before. Grrrrrr

in an underground bunker at an undisclosed location
    Quote Originally Posted by Mariposita:
    Max: Is it really bad with Cheung Kong properties? I swear I've never had so many problems leasing a place before. Grrrrrr
    Word on the street says that the reason why Cheung Kong gives such fantastic deals/discounts on their new units is because they scrimp on build quality and general fit and finish. Friends of mine who've bought units at the Caribbean Coast in Tung Chung can testify to the various (albeit, comparatively minor) problems they've faced in getting repairs done on furniture/fixtures even BEFORE they move in, go figure I think there were a couple of threads here on Geo talking about it as well.

Have also heard some not-so-good things about Queen's Terrace, too...
    Last edited by Max; 19-01-2007 at 03:25 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast