Like Tree20Likes

Gift for dinner with GF parents?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Gift for dinner with GF parents?

Hi

I need some ideas for a gift to give to my GF's parents when I go to dinner tonight with them. It is very important that I make a good impression and they are a very traditional family. Please please help.
    I am british and she is HK

Thanks

GB1241

Why not ask your GF? She knows what her parents would like better than any of us.

Who says you need to buy them a gift?

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gb1241:
    Hi

I need some ideas for a gift to give to my GF's parents when I go to dinner tonight with them. It is very important that I make a good impression and they are a very traditional family. Please please help.
    I am british and she is HK

Thanks

GB1241
    If they are traditionnal and middle class, a nice FRUIT basket.

Flowers is a NO NO usually.

Second Mat's suggestion for fruit basket, would also consider a tea set.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Tie a ribbon round your trouser snake and slap it on the table at the start of the meal. Never fails to break the ice in awkward social situations.

Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Tie a ribbon round your trouser snake and slap it on the table at the start of the meal. Never fails to break the ice in awkward social situations.
    The gunsnroses approach is not for everyone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

You should buy two gifts and hold them in reserve until the end of the evening. If they've been rude (loud burping doesn't count as it's normative behavior here) and unfriendly, give them a nicely-wrapped clock. If they've been warm and indicated their approval of you, then give them the envelope of cash. About $HKD 10,000 should do.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Who says you need to buy them a gift?
    Yeah my pal jimbo is right. Why buy a gift?

That way you have more money left over to get tailor made shirts and drink at HK's most discriminating bars - the Feather Boa (closed) but maybe the Soiree or any new jimbo haunts he is not telling his pals about.

I don't get the post about all HKers making loud burbing noises. It certainly isn't my experience here.
    dear giant likes this.

I third on Mat's idea of a fruit basket. Also, another suggestion is a nice box of chocolates. Not the ones you get in P&S or Wellcome, but a nice box like from Godiva or of similar quality.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast