Like Tree6Likes

Movie Making

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Movie Making

Does anyone on Geoexpat have an interest in making internet movies for fun? I find filmmaking really fun, but I suffer from lack of ideas and I don't have the worlds best equipment. I want to make more movies, wondering if anyone else has an interest in making a little bit of a film making group?

I have two cameras, one is just a flip mino HD/blogging camera and one is a Sony HD camcorder, it's a few years old, but can still be used for 720p film recording. I do all of my editing in iMovie 11, but don't mind learning more about using Final Cut Pro, but for the work I have done I don't need to use FC much.

Bringing back an old thread because I would like to know more about the Flip video camera and whether it is the right purchase for me.

I would like it to use mainly as a fun and spur of the moment recording of my kids whenever we are out and about. Nothing fancy really needed but it would be good to be able to zoom in when I am not able to be close to record, i.e. school assemblies, etc.

And if suitable, where would be a good place to pick one up?

Flip Cameras are the best cameras. They are high quality and so small so it's easy to keep in your pocket. Also comes with some editing software for mac/pc which is great. Best of all it's cheap.

You can find them at Fortress or Broadway, but not all stores have them. Look more towards the larger/major stores of the chains.

Thanks HKC. I will see if I can pick one up tonight so that I can use it for the kids' school trip tomorrow. Will an overnight charge of 5-6 hours (as the first charge) be sufficient? I recall the first charges requiring more time than thereafter. Is this still the case with batteries these days?

I understand that there are two models. Which one do you recommend? (sorry, I don't know too much about them other than a friend of mine having one with them a couple of weeks ago but from Canada)

I haven't had a chance to pick one up yet. I've gone to some of the smaller Fortress shops that just happened to be in the area but no luck in those.

I came across that store in the Price Rite store in North Point that sells non-brand name electronics. They had a few video cameras made by "Speed". Two of the models similar to the Flip were "X5-Z" and "X-2".

SPEED Digital Limited

SPEED Digital Limited

Speed HD-X2 Hi Def Pocket Slim Digital Camera Camcorder

Any one seen these or heard of these? I am considering making my purchase tonight so that I can use it for an event tomorrow. Any quick response would be appreciated.

A follow up question: If the website says "Supported OS is Windows 7 / Vista / XP (software for 32-bit OS only)", will I have any problem if I am on a Mac?

I have a Speed camera. Very bad image quality under low light conditions (indoors). Same goes for the similar priced HP camera. You are much better off buying a digital camera like the new Canon Ixus 220 HS for around $2000, and it does 1080p HD movies as well and is a nice still camera.

As long as your mac has an SD slot, you shouldn't have a problem. Normally you get the video files into your computer via the SD card. You can also use the USB cable but there is no reason why you have to.

Image quality examples on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...on+Ixus+220+HS

Last edited by 100LL; 22-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
    Rayzilla likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    I have a Speed camera. Very bad image quality under low light conditions (indoors). Same goes for the similar priced HP camera. You are much better off buying a digital camera like the new Canon Ixus 220 HS for around $2000, and it does 1080p HD movies as well and is a nice still camera.

As long as your mac has an SD slot, you shouldn't have a problem. Normally you get the video files into your computer via the SD card. You can also use the USB cable but there is no reason why you have to.

Image quality examples on youtube:

YouTube - Canon Ixus 220 HS
    Thanks for the info on the Speed brand. Funny thing, while I was in CWB last night checking out some camera shops, I came across some video cameras that looked exactly like the Speed VC but with a Japanese and German label and at a much higher price.

To make a long story short, I went up a few notches and picked up the Canon Legria HF R206. It is a little bigger than the Flip-like VC but much better image quality. I bought it from Fortress at Times Square. If anyone else is looking to buy and has any questions, just let me know.

The only concern I have right now is that on the box, it says "The supplied VideoBrowser / Transfer Utility software is not compatible with Max OS". But I am assuming that the iMovie application in the Mac will cover all of these needs, or would I be missing out by not having use of these Canon supplied software?

You don't need their software. I am not sure what's the codec on the video files this Canon generates, but I am sure you'll be just fine.

Speed is a Chinese manufacturer that claims to be a Japanese manufacturer (Japanese products are regarded of higher quality). The other brands you see are OEM version of the speed cameras.

Rayzilla likes this.

Did you ever get an answer re the film making group? I'm new to HK and currently have time and a new videocamera and would love to meet up to discuss possible projects and ideas. Let me know and we can meet over coffee next week

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast