Wanchai computer centre

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Wanchai computer centre is actually a tourist trap.
    The prices there are not that different from the big chains (sometimes even higher).

I recommend Shamshuipo Golden Shopping Centre for computer and computer related needs.

For cell phones, Mong Kok has a centre (forgot the name) and has both new phones and cheap second hand ones.

Quote Originally Posted by anson_wong25:
    Wanchai computer centre is actually a tourist trap.
    The prices there are not that different from the big chains (sometimes even higher).

I recommend Shamshuipo Golden Shopping Centre for computer and computer related needs.

For cell phones, Mong Kok has a centre (forgot the name) and has both new phones and cheap second hand ones.
    Rubbish. WCC is a perfectly reasonable place to buy computer gear. As mentioned a number of times before in these fora, prices are likely to be slightly lower in MCC and lower again in SSP/Golden. However, they will generally be well below what one would pay at the big chains - especially after negotiations/haggling. Really only worth going to MCC or SSP for the additional choice/selection (especially of components) or if one is buying a bunch of stuff (in which case the savings might be worth it).
    However, I would generally not recommend buying phones in WCC (or the stores close by) - Sun Tat and other places are indeed much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by beachball:
    Rubbish. WCC is a perfectly reasonable place to buy computer gear. As mentioned a number of times before in these fora, prices are likely to be slightly lower in MCC and lower again in SSP/Golden. However, they will generally be well below what one would pay at the big chains - especially after negotiations/haggling. Really only worth going to MCC or SSP for the additional choice/selection (especially of components) or if one is buying a bunch of stuff (in which case the savings might be worth it).
    Actually it's only worth going to WCC if you happen to be in the area. As you say, and that's my experience, too, the choice is limited and prices are higher than SSP. When I was looking for a specific hard disk (nothing exotic though) recently no shop at WCC seemed to have it and the only one that offered to order wanted HKD580 for it; found it at several shops in SSP and paid 455 only, without bargaining.
    When I build my system a year or so ago I had a similar problem with the graphics card, again it was nothing special but most shops at WCC never heard of it or tried to tell me the model wouldn't be available in HK. Found it at 298 nearby then.

MCC is looking emptier every year. Perhaps PC's and laptops are becoming throw-away devices for the vast majority so the $100 you save on a $2800 net book just isn't worth the hassle of going to a computer centre. People will still use the computer cemtres as the staff are better trained and not just on a 'saturday job' from Uni.

Last edited by East_coast; 08-07-2010 at 08:19 AM.

I wouldn't call wanchai computer centre a tourist trap but it certainly may be a little bit more expensive then if you buy it from SSP (Golden center). I wouldn't bother with shopping at Mongkok computer center. It's just not comfortable shopping environment and price is not any cheaper then wanchai.

at SSP (sham shui po) godlen computer center, there are a few shops that are pretty big and you can feel comfortable getting good price and service. you can usually bargain a little bit (but not much) if you pay in cash. the best way to find out what the 'market price' for a computer is to check out several major store.

In terms of stores, i had good experience with Centafield (located at basement of golden centre)

new models, older models, it's all up to you and you usually get what you paid for (and it's fine to pay less if you do not need all the new features) At SSP, you have good selection of old and newer models.

Cheers!
    Bruce

ps* If you prefer no hassle big store backing from major electronics chain, you can go to Mong Kok Broadway.
    Do your price check @ price.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by bruce999:
    In terms of stores, i had good experience with Centafield (located at basement of golden centre)
    Seconded, I actually bought the hard disk mentioned in my post above at Centralfield.