Like Tree22Likes

Are you offended by the term "Gwailo"??

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15

I think it's like saying,LOCAL in disdain. It is not a bad word in the dictionary but we know what it means when we are in a bad mood or something has happened to upset us.

Last edited by goodkarma; 27-03-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: spelling

let's start a campaign to call all non-hkers leng zai and leng lui.. then the ugly ones wld be complaining its an insult to their appearance.. ahhaa

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunfire:
    I don't see the "crying" part in any of my posts. I've never made a big deal out of the term gwai lo. Offense is taken, not given. And I don't take offense to words. Noone can force you to be offended by speech, so you have the final call as the recipient.
    Yes, thank you for acknowledging that offence is taken, not given. So I think we can finally agree that gweilo itself isn't an offensive term... but rather that a few white folks just choose to take offense by it.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to say you personally were "crying" about it. I should've said it was the people who choose to be offended are crying.

What I was adressing was the way you tried to make it look like whitie is the only one who treats minorities different. Like white people are the only ones where the majority doesn't know what it's like living as a minority.
    Compared to other ethnic peoples as a whole... no I honestly don't believe that white people can completely know. Do you know what Chinese and black people went through and some still are going through in the United States? Do you think what little annoyances you're "suffering" as a white minority can compare to that?

Do you think most chinese, japanese, indians, mexicans, peruvians etc. know what it's like to live in a place where they're the minority? No, because most have never lived outside their home country. And do you think they're any less capable of treating minorities in their countries differently?
    I agree, but if you simply look at the history and even the reality going around now... what do you see? Sure Asian, Mexican and every other non-white people are capable of treating minorities in their country differently... but to the same degree as what white people have done and still do? I don't think so! Is there a non-white equivalent to the Nazis, the KKK, the European colonials that 'discovered' the Americas, the British exporting African slaves that can even RIVAL that kind of damage? Even the post immediately following yours by "gweilo" (the poster's self-chosen username) stated his personal observation that white people are calling Chinese people much worse compared to the mere descriptive "fat white guy."

Sure I understand what you've said before that wrong is still wrong... but life isn't black and white (no racial meaning there, just so no one gets offended!). It's not just about right and wrong... because in reality there are MANY wrongs going on... but there's also another saying of the "lesser of two evils" which also applies. Nobody will be perfect... but at least Chinese or black or Mexicans or whatever other people aren't doing anything as bad as what the white people have done in history. Sure there will be name-calling which will always be the case (and I maintain that I don't even consider gweilo an insult)... but I don't think that's going to disappear unless every government decides to ban every potentially offensive word. Like it's been repeated over and over again, just don't let it bother you and be happy... or at least be bothered about things that really matter like protecting the environment (I believe that's the global warming thread?), etc.

Freeier, how about a compaign to NOT call white people anything? I like just saying "hey you." They are very common words... and you can address someone directly by looking at and/or pointing at them and then calling. That way no one will be blamed for being racist or whatever. Well maybe I'll be blamed for being rude... but hey... I'm being more direct that way and there isn't any negative undertone behind it. Who's in?

On a slightly different note... Max, what does "cha" mean exactly anyway? I've been wondering about that as I've heard HKers, even some of my family, refer to Indian or Middle Eastern people by that term. What's the direct translation and history behind that? I'm very curious about that now...
    Last edited by youngjediboy; 28-03-2007 at 01:34 AM.

Ever heard of the Khmer Rouge or Nanking? Rwanda? Darfur? It doesn't matter who's done more, it only matters that it has been done and will be done as long as people keep trying to persecute differences in each other. I see everyone as human, that's the only thing that matters. I don't subscribe to ideas of classes or castes or that pigmentation or textures makes people different. Human. No races of humans, just human. Anything else is pointless fragmentation and a waste of energy. White is just as good, and just as bad as yellow, black, brown, neon green, pink etc. That's all I'm saying. There's no need to single any one group out, because all humans are just as capable of both good and bad deeds.

I absolutely agree that it is a person's right to be offended by whatever they find offensive. If you objected to whatever it is, I would personally respect any of it, and even defend your right to be offended by whatever, however nonsensical it may seem.
    I disagree that it is a person's right, coz if it is so, we could then say it is a person's right:
    to point at a deer and say it's a horse,
    to point at a blackboard and say it is white,
    to think white people are superior and should look down on other races...so on
    What are scientists working for, what are theories and principles for? It is no longer important what facts are then, isn't it? What is important only is what we feel or think, is that so?

Why is it that we are trying so hard to bring the message to you people that the term "gwailo" is not necessarily meant offensive? Those few posters who tried so hard tried coz they want to see fairness. They don't want to see conflicts or dislikes just because of simple misunderstandings of the language/culture. They want harmony. It is clear in their posts that they are the type of person that treat every person the same regardless of what colour they are. And so do I.

Let me state, it is IMPORTANT that one should only feel offended when they truly believe it is the INTENTION of the offender to offend. And this apply to all people, whether it is white people in HK or Chinese people in England or even Chinese in HK. Only if that can be accomplished, there could be peace.

I am a gwai lo. I find it quite ludicrous that other gwai lo's find it offensive. IMO it is merely a difference of cultures.

Political correctness is crippling the west and fuelling racial hatred, I sincerely hope it never happens here in HK.

in fact the guailo thing is one of the many ways that they use when the gossip about us behind or even in front us... no worries and dun get too worked up cos.... if we do we are no different from them....

So Heads up and head out of the door.

Cheers...

i like the name

i find the term gwailo, kinda cute....

reminds for some odd reason of "chia pet" ...those people head clay pots with plants growing out of them

(plus it reminds me i'm a long way away from home)

I love being called a gweilo - I would not have it any other way. It marks me down as the big hairy white ghost that I am and I love it!!!! Even my Chinese wife calls me a "ma fan gweilo" :P

Quote Originally Posted by meemiathai:
    Let me state, it is IMPORTANT that one should only feel offended when they truly believe it is the INTENTION of the offender to offend. And this apply to all people, whether it is white people in HK or Chinese people in England or even Chinese in HK. Only if that can be accomplished, there could be peace.
    it is the offender's intention that you know his intention to offend. Becoming offended will inspire you to react against the offender, which will create conflict. Some people enjoy this.

To avoid this, one should never take offense, even it it is meant.

There will never be peace among any human beings because so many of them love to find excuses to fight.

Closed Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15