Like Tree6Likes

Question to the Aussies on geoexpat

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question to the Aussies on geoexpat

Mr. Elle and I are looking at the possibility of relocating to Australia. The options would be either Melbourne or Brisbane. At the moment we are in favour of Melbourne.
    In Melbourne the office would be located in Collin Street, in Brisbane it'll be at The Circuit, Eagle Farm.
    I'd like to hear the pro and cons of both places, as well as recommendations in which areas to live.
    Many thanks in advance

Being an aussie all my life I could probably answer that question!

Australia to me is considered semi retirement so after HK you will consider it very laid back, especially Brisbane. Having lived in Brisbane for 4 years and Sydney for 12 years before that (but not Melbourne), Brisbane is a reasonable lifestyle but if you are looking for more of a 'city' then Melbourne would be alot better.

In Brisbane, Eagle Farm is just out of the city about 2-3 kms. You could live in the hills to the west of Brisbane or Hamilton but they are higher rent there of course. Or you could go 'country' or get the sea breeze such as Redcliffe or Bribie Island.

If you have kids go for Brisbane, but if you are single or no real commitments then Melbourne is alot better for food, arts and city/urban lifestyle.

The Melbourne office is right in the city.

Personally, if I was the one going back, I would chose Melbourne. Even though I still have a house in Brissy!

elle likes this.

Oh and if you go to Brisbane you have to like rugby league! Melburne it's Aussie Rules!

Like Virago, if I had to go back to Oz,to either of those two cities (and it would take me a LOT of convincing), I would probably head for Melbourne for the same reasons.
    The one factor not mentioned in the previous posts is climate: Melbourne has a reputation for going through all four seasons in any 24 hours. Brissie is rather more predictable and has more bearable winters for a tropics-bird like me although the houses tend to be built for summer so I still freeze!

And if you do decide to head south, remember to take outrageous taxes (not to mention bank charges) into account when budgeting.

IMO the blokes playing Rules are a lot easier on the eyes than the gorillas who play league ;-)

Last edited by chingleutsch; 08-01-2011 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Oh and if you go to Brisbane you have to like rugby league! Melbourne it's Aussie Rules!
    And probably best not to mention cricket to the locals at the moment in either place!

I'm from Melbourne and would choose Melbourne, although I would probably pick Bris-vegas as one of my favourite Aussie cities.
    Why Melb? It's got a great cafe culture, very cosmopolitan, sophisticated (in the right areas of town), while also boasting great open roads for driving out to the countryside or along the great ocean road to some beautiful beaches.

All the good things about Australia - fresh air, food, space - while still being a reasonably internationally city.

Nobrainer - Melbourne any day. Melbourne is a REAL city - it has culture, fashion, restaurants, shops, beaches. There are seasons in melbourne - summer, winter, spring, autumn (and yes, sometimes they have a little of each on one day!). But Brisbane the weather is "nice" all year round - how boring! In Melbourne the weather is "fabulous" in spring and autumn; "Hot" in summer and "chilly" in winter - much more like HK. And the skiing is accessible by road from Melbourne; ditto decent hiking whereas queensland is less good for those kinds of things.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    queensland is less good for those kinds of things.
    It's good for watersports at the moment though

Wow, thank you all for the quick replies.
    It would only be the two of us - no kids that will relocate with us. They are all back in the UK and well in their 20-ies
    As I said, we are in favour of Melbourne - now even more assured reading all those replies
    I'd be happy to get more input from all of you about the areas we should look at to live in Melbourne. We are both not exactly spring chicken anymore (but wearing very well) and would look for a 2-3 bedroom flat preferably with a bit of an outdoor area not too far from the office.
    When it comes to Rugby Mr. Elle is a diehart England fan and only interested in Rugby Union. I happen to be an Allblack supporter (much to his dismay), but only until Germany comes up with a great team
    All I understand about cricket is what I learned from Bill Bryson's book about Australia (cricket is apparently slightly less boring than a baking competition and everybody wears white....)
    Any suggestions into which area/suburb of Melbourne to look into are very welcome.

There is real rugby in Brisbane also (the Reds) but I believe league is more popular.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast