Like Tree18Likes

Pollution: Today Hong Kong looks and smells like Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Since when the population has increased by 40% (just over 5M to just over 7M). It's only going to get worse if Sir Donald achieves his utterly bizarre goal of cramming 10 million people into this already highly congested and polluted space.
    He's only following orders.
    dear giant likes this.

Both Castle Peak and Lamma Power station which are coal fired were built in the 80's and have been expanded since and are major contributors to local pollution.

Morrison likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It is telling that you pose two questions and then let a derogatory comment follow.
    Perhaps for this kind of "rhetorics" we should coin the phrase " you sound like The Brit" ?

And to answer your questions
    1. Yes, unless that city is in a comparable situation
    2. I did not say that.
    HK is in the same boat as other Chinese cities because of its proximity to a major manufacturing center in China, the Pearl River Delta.

It seems to me that the faction that says HK should do this and that underestimates the amount of pollution that comes over. Again, try to retrieve some satellite images that show the sheer scale of pollution. I don't have any handy right now.
    Last edited by Morrison; 20-01-2011 at 04:25 PM.

What's even more distressing is that there are 17 'likes' for this thread regarding pollution!

While there may be similarities with Chinese cities, HK is a very different place. HK can't do a heck of a lot when it comes to what goes on in China however it has the power to make significant changes on its own.

Beijing and Shanghai have twice the population that HK has, under China, it would probably be more difficult for those cities to regulate and fund significant initiatives to reduce pollution particularly if it might have an impact on economic growth.

HK has the money, the political power to make changes that could have a significant impact. The government chooses not to do too much because that's the kind of place this is... They don't like to interfere too much with anything that may have repercussions on businesses and/or lifestyle. Polls say that the population cares about pollution however I don't sense that too many people are prepared to make any kind of sacrifices in their lifestyle which to be fair is no different than most places in the world.

There are 600,000 cars in HK of around 7 million people. Beijing has 4.8 million cars with around 22 million people.

Beijing have just regulated that only 240,000 cars will be registered in 2011. In 2010 there was 750,000 cars registered in Beijing. Mainly this is due to the horrendous traffic problem now there. It is said that 50% of pollution in Beijing is due to cars.

They are also looking at doubling the subway public transport by 2015. Currently it's 330 kms of subway.

I suppose what I am trying to say here is once the government on the mainland get to a point where it's a major problem they move quickly, swiftly to fix the situation. That the beauty of a communist society!

Last edited by virago; 20-01-2011 at 05:06 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    END OF QUOTE......
    Last edited by Morrison; 20-01-2011 at 05:45 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm not british so english is not my mother tongue and sometimes I might not type properly, but my understanding is that he didn't say thatBeijing and Shanghai were in close proximity to the Pearl River Delta, he said that: HK is in the same boat as other Chinese cities because of its proximity to a major manufacturing center in China, the Pearl River Delta (this example is given in reference to HK, not Beijing or Shanghai)

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4