Mildew Attack!

Closed Thread

Mildew Attack!

Hi all,

One of my lovely wooden thai lamps has started growing mildew (though the other hasn't). Is there anything I can spray on it to kill the mould and stop it growing back? I don't want to use the stuff we've been using in the bathroom as it seems fairly potent, and I don't want to damage the wood.

Thank you

Jen

Hi Jen,

Depending on the finish of the wood (for instance - lacquer, stain, paint or varnish), it's possible to remove mildew using a combination of industrial agents.

The most common agents used are either isopropyl alcohol (common cleaning industrial alcohol) or hydrogen peroxide of varying strengths from 1% to 10%.

Alcohol denatures mildew by disrupting its cell membrane structure: it does not destroy the spores completely. On the other hand, Hydrogen Peroxide completely oxidises live tissue on contact. It destroys spores, however may affect the wood.

1. You will need to do a test patch first. Use the alcohol with a disposable cotton cloth to clean down a small area of the lamp and leave for 24 hours.

2. If on inspection, there is no alteration of the wood finish, then proceed to use on the whole area. This step may be sufficient as a one off treatment however will not prevent recurrence (due to the spores).

3. Hydrogen Peroxide used topically with cotton wool in slow sparing amounts is usually sufficient to destroy the remainder of the spores. Again, you need to do a patch test in case the wood finish is altered.

4.Don't forget to re-oil your lamp with jasmine oil or a non-cooking oil to preserve the wood. Wood wax is better although the lamp needs to be dried out after treatment.

Hope that helps.