How expensive are things in HK?

Closed Thread

How expensive are things in HK?

I would like to know some general prices/living costs in Hong Kong. Though I'm gonna work as au-pair I don't have to worry about costs for food and rent, so mostly I'm just curious.

So, what are normal prices for a beer or drink at a bar or a dinner at a restaurant. How are the general prices for clothes comparing to US or Western Europe countries? Electronics? Just wondering if I should wait with buying some things (especially electronics, like an iPod and a new mobile phone) until I get there or if I as well can buy it back in Sweden.

Beer: anything from HK$20 to HK$70 depending on where you choose to drink.

Food: anything from HK$25 to HK$2500+ depending on where you choose to eat.

Clothes: anything you want from dirt cheap (HK$20 polo shirts) to top-end designer fashion, depending on where you shop. The only difficulty may be in finding your size if you are significantly different from typical asian sizes.

Electronics: probably cheaper in HK (not least because there is no sales tax / VAT), and you tend to get the latest models earlier.

Berry,

You are right. But I think if you go to local place, ususally you can have better price. For example at TST area, "Chinese" pub, $108 per 6 bottles of beer and no service charge with snacks provide. Can you believe it?

Hebe

Cheaper than a Ghetto, Not as Expensive as other Metropoleis.

A highly subjective topic.

Don't they have standard indicators they use to compare Cities, i.e. something as specific as a 75cl bottle of Evian Water with the Sport Cap...

They use such specific items to calculate inflation etc... I think they call it a "Basket" of Goods - albeit a very specific one. Perhaps also called the Cost of Living Index?

Look that up and you'll get a wealth of information about living in EVERYWHERE...

"In economics, inflation is an increase in the general level of prices of a given kind in a given currency. Inflation is measured by taking a "basket" of goods, and comparing the prices at two intervals, and adjusting for changes in the intrinsic basket. Thus, there are different measurements of inflation, depending on the basket of goods selected. The most common measures are of consumer inflation, producer inflation and GDP deflators, or price indexes. The last measures inflation in the entire economy."

this thread is 2 years old!!!