reverse mortgages

Closed Thread

reverse mortgages

Hi,

I am a reporter for business show, Money Magazine, on TVB Pearl, and I am doing a story on reverse mortgages. Hong Kong is introducing reverse mortgages for the elderly this year.

I am looking for people who have experienced reverse mortgages in their home countries (eg. UK, US, Canada, Singapore, France).

Please pm me. Thanks!

Zela Chin
    Money Magazine - Main - tvb.com

Bump - got caught in spam filters

I have not done that in Canada - no need to - but I am aware from a casual conversation with my very good Canadian financial planner about seniors doing this that his comments were that they were not a good thing and there are better ways for cash strapped to get some cash out of their owned homes than a reverse mortgage.

Manulife Bank in Canada has a line of credit facility that might be an option to that - check that out. Check out Manulife One: Manulife One » Line of Credit Account, Variable Mortgage Options, Home Equity Line of Credit, All In One Account .. My understanding is that based on the value of a home, an owner can then get a line of credit up to some 75% (not sure of the number).

This blog post suggests some negatives - http://canadianfinanceblog.com/2009/...e-mortgage.htm

None of this helps you to get to folks who have done this in other countries but you might try

HARO. com - help a reporter out and see if there are those there who can give you first hand experience at it.

Thanks for directing me to that website. Useful information!

Alas, I'm still on the hunt for an expat who's had personal experience with reverse mortgages. Perhaps they are the son or daughter of someone who has gotten a reverse mortgage. Are you out there?

Possibly. MiL does it on her home in Tassie. I try and stay out of it though. I tend to think they are a bad idea too. Personally I think she should have moved into a smaller place and put the spare money in the bank.....

Thanks MovingIn07! I have sent you a private message. @Fth I looked into the previous links and even contacted that group. Unfortunately, no one was based in Hong Kong. I'm still on the hunt!! I'll look at the latest that you've sent! Thank you Thank you.