Like Tree7Likes

Working at Airport - Transportation

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The more economical bus is E11. Its $21 from Sheung Wan. The A11 is designed for travellers (more comfy seats, space for luggage, etc) and its $40 from Sheung Wan.

EXX - Standard buses to airport
    AXX - Special airport buses for travellers

Lazyboy likes this.

Tung Chung
    DB
    Park Island
    Tsing Yi
    Shamg Tseng/Tin Kau
    GoldCoast

are the obvious locations

Then you also have (depends on your budget) Central and Kowloon Station -> and you take the Airport Express (but that really depends on your budget)

Skyhook likes this.

Whilst the airport express is expensive, I recently realised (sorry if its not news to anybody here) that they automatically apply a "same day return FREE" price when you use Octopus. It means if you go to the airport on AE, then return ON THE SAME DAY, the return is free. Maybe handy for airport workers or if you are just going to pick someone up.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Whilst the airport express is expensive, I recently realised (sorry if its not news to anybody here) that they automatically apply a "same day return FREE" price when you use Octopus. It means if you go to the airport on AE, then return ON THE SAME DAY, the return is free. Maybe handy for airport workers or if you are just going to pick someone up.
    $90 a day, $450 a week, $1800 a month!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    $90 a day, $450 a week, $1800 a month!
    That's still not that bad (i know a lot of ppl spending 100HKD day ormore in taxi)

Plus if you take it from Kowloon Station or Tsing Yi it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    That's still not that bad (i know a lot of ppl spending 100HKD day ormore in taxi)

Plus if you take it from Kowloon Station or Tsing Yi it is cheaper.
    I thought $90 was for Kowloon.

A bit different from my $4-8 a day!

Keep in mind also that some lower paid airport staff also get a commute subsidy paid extra by the company, on top of their salary, depending on who they work for. Some airline staff ( higher ranks ie Pilots, Senior airframe engineers etc ) also get taxi/car parking costs reimbursed/supplied paid for by the company too.

Aviation staff that have TRA id cards also get a special Octopus Card issued that has their photo id printed on the back that gives them a generous discount that normal commuters don't receive.

So it really depends on who they work for and what their level of entitlements are, as to what their commute costs will be, if any.

Last edited by Skyhook; 21-01-2011 at 11:27 AM.

Certainly the airport bus from the Gold Coast has some special scheme for Cathay staff ... they all have different coloured tickets to the "normal" ones and I have been told they are about 40% cheaper. Not sure if just Cathay or many airport workers.

Lazyboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I thought $90 was for Kowloon.

A bit different from my $4-8 a day!
    Of course :-)

Not sure what is the OP' salary or position and this would actually help (as I mentionned know a few ppl living in Stanley, Repulse Bay and commuting to Central everyday by taxi...

the airport express takes you to directly to the departure level of the airport. If your office is not in the terminal, you might need to connect to one of the 'E' buses. Depending on your location, taking the 'E' bus from home might be just as fast as the airport express.

Beuze likes this.