Like Tree7Likes

Working at Airport - Transportation

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question Working at Airport - Transportation

I will be moving from the UK to HK in about 6 weeks time to work at Airport. At the moment I have not yet finalized where I will be staying but I am leaning towards renting a Serviced Apartment in somewhere like Central, Sheung Wan or Kowloon to begin with, until I can find my feet. I have been looking into transportation options if I was to live at Sheung Wan and travel to the Airport every morning. If I am honest the more I look into it the worse I feel. I am aware of the A11 bus etc, but I am not sure how long the journey would actually take during rush hour. Also I am beginning to feel that there must be better expat type areas with easier (quicker and cheaper) transportation links to the Airport. I would like a my commute to be less than 1hr each way, with the minimum number of connections possible.

Can anyone give me some advice please ?....

1. Do you make the journey to the Airport from HK Island? If yes, how do you get there (public transport), how long does it take and would you recommend a particular location?

2. Are there any other people working at the Airport who would recommend perhaps that I move to somewhere else, closer to the Airport? I have also looked at Tsing Yi, Mui Wo and Discovery Bay?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am fast running out of time !!

If I were working at the airport I would live in Tung Chung, it's near the airport, expat friendly and cheap. Presumably you will do the home to work trip twice a day so you'll want that to be the easy trip I'd have thought. The city is less than hour away by bus or train from most places in Hong Kong.

Either stay at Discovery Bay or if you dont like that then your best transport is the MTR to Tung Chung and quick bus ride to the airport, if you can fork out for the airport express then its even faster, if your working at the airport find out if you get a discount for the airport express, it might help.

Unless you get free rides on the aiport express train TungChung is really your best option. 20 minutes to AP at around HK$ 3.50 per trip

Thanks for the advice I will look into Tung Chung !!

How do people get from Discovery bay to the Airport ? It appears quite isolated even though it is on Lantau Island.

Last edited by Lazyboy; 21-01-2011 at 03:42 AM.

There is a bus from Disovery Bay to the airport. It takes about 25min from DB Plaza - a bit less when you live along Discovery Bay Road. The frequency is every 30min at HK$ 32.- per trip. Another (cheaper) option is to take the bus to Tung Chung (HK$9.10) and change there.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Lazyboy likes this.

Another option is Gold Coast. There is an hourly airport resident bus (quite a large population of pilots and cathay air stewardesses live there) which takes precisely 30 mins direct to the airport. Expat friendly, much nicer than Tung Chung with beaches, hiking, shopping centre and close to Tuen Mun for anything else.

you get it piecemeal today:
    - Tung chung has been mentioned
    - DB
    - Gold Coast
    - plus you should look into Park Island (which is probably the best of all the above given the transport connections into town)

if you do live on hong kong island, check the precise route and bus stops of A11 or any other bus. if you can jump on board just before the bus hits the western tunnel, then you should be able to make it there within 40 mins max.

my bus from Tin Hau took 1h 15 mins but mainly because of the hundred stops on hong kong island to pick up people before hitting the tunnel

last stop for A11 is 60 Connaught Road West
    http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/routes/rou...exactMatch=yes

Last edited by cookie09; 21-01-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Lazyboy likes this.

Personally, I wouldn't live somewhere that takes me an hour to travel to work. Unless you love music or reading. At least the ipad makes these trips a bit more bearable and you can do a bit of surfing.

Even when I lived in Beijing and it took me 1h 15 mins to work from west to east Beijing I had an apartment in the East during the week.

Last edited by virago; 21-01-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: missing word

Also check out the PRICE of the A11 - if I recall correctly it's not exactly cheap. I can't imagine living on HKI and working at the airport, unless you live near, and can afford, the Airport Express every day!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast