getting right to live in hong kong

Closed Thread

getting right to live in hong kong

I am a 32 year old male who plans to get married to my girlfriend, who is a permanant resident of Hong Kong, in Hong Kong. What we would like to know, is after we are married.
    1 how long (roughly) would it take for me to gain the right to work there
    2 what are the requirements needed
    3 on what grounds could i be refused.

My girlfriend is unemployed their at this moment, and lives with her mum rent free, her mum will be coming to the Uk in march, and the plan would be to get married before she leaves and my and my girlfriend would be living at her mums house rent free. and then obviously i would need to find work, which wont be a problem if i am allowed to.

hopefully there is enough information here for someone to be able to help, if any more information is required please feel free to ask.

thanking you all in advance for your help

1. Somewhere between 4 and 16 weeks, depending on how Immigration reacts to your application for a Dependant Visa.
    2. Details here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    3. That the marriage is regarded as not serious (i.e. that it is a marriage of convenience to get you a visa, not one based on a serious relationship); that your sponsor (your wife) can't afford to support you; any other reason that ImmD sees fit (e.g. adverse immigration record in HK already).

For the first you need to be able to provide proof of the relationship over time - photos together and with each others families, holidays together, correspondence, etc. For the second you need to show that you have accommodation available in HK (letter from the mother is fine) AND that SHE has the funds to support you in Hong Kong (either an income of at least HK$10K or, say, HK$200K in the bank is normally quoted as a benchmark, but there's no hard fast rule).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    1. Somewhere between 4 and 16 weeks, depending on how Immigration reacts to your application for a Dependant Visa.
    2. Details here: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    3. That the marriage is regarded as not serious (i.e. that it is a marriage of convenience to get you a visa, not one based on a serious relationship); that your sponsor (your wife) can't afford to support you; any other reason that ImmD sees fit (e.g. adverse immigration record in HK already).

For the first you need to be able to provide proof of the relationship over time - photos together and with each others families, holidays together, correspondence, etc. For the second you need to show that you have accommodation available in HK (letter from the mother is fine) AND that SHE has the funds to support you in Hong Kong (either an income of at least HK$10K or, say, HK$200K in the bank is normally quoted as a benchmark, but there's no hard fast rule).
    thankyou so much for your reply, and all the information was helpful

if you can there is one more question i would like to be answered
    for example
    if my and my fiancee got married in the UK and stayed here for a while, is there a time limit on which it is possible for me to apply for the right to work there, or do we have to get married in Hong Kong

thanking you again

Once you are married you can apply as soon as you want or wait as long as you want. So long as you remain legally married and your fiancee still has the Right of Abode in Hong Kong then you can apply for the Dependant Visa when you wish to move here.

What you're applying for is the right to reside here (without restriction on work, study, etc).

thanks again, we have finallygot married, and enjoying our life at the moment, i am just trying to find out where you get the information from about the amount of money that is required to be in the bank, if you can help this would be very greatful

thanks again steve

thanks again, we have finallygot married, and enjoying our life at the moment, i am just trying to find out where you get the information from about the amount of money that is required to be in the bank, if you can help this would be very greatful

thanks again steve