Like Tree25Likes

sales too aggreessive in hk?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    That shopping mall on the Lo Wu border in Shenzhen has to be the worst. I went there with my wife and kids and was bombarded with about 6 people circling us the entire time in the mall. It made the whole experience terrible and we left the mall fairly quickly. After venturing a bit further into Shenzhen it was much better, but it was my wifes first time into SZ and she just wanted to turn around and go home the second we got there.
    Lo Wu is not a place to take kids though. You go there and get what you need and then get the hell out. I have specific suppliers I go and see and yes I might get cheaper prices elsewhere but they don't give you the hard sell and i tell them exactly what I want and how much I want to spend and thats it. Done.
    Skyhook and goodybabe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    A remember reading someone was doing a year experiment of buying only online what he needs.

It was quite easy and saved a fortune.

No pushy salespeople just pushy pop up ads!
    I dont know a lot of online shops in hk...

any good ones around?

My wife and I buy a lot of the sort of stuff you'd get in Watsons/Mannings from international.drugstore.com

Books from: bookdepository.com

Books and DVDs from: amazon.com

Amazon will ship things that aren't books or DVDs here, but it seems to be a sort of case-by-case situation: put it in your cart and try to check out and, if you don't get a message about that item not shipping to HK, then you're good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonylei:
    I dont know a lot of online shops in hk...

any good ones around?
    I think stuff like books and dvds are often cheaper including shipping when buying from o\s sites not just HK sites.
    Posted via Mobile Device

interesting.... i used to do a lot of internet shopping back in uk...

looks like i need to get back to the old habit

thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    That shopping mall on the Lo Wu border in Shenzhen has to be the worst. I went there with my wife and kids and was bombarded with about 6 people circling us the entire time in the mall. It made the whole experience terrible and we left the mall fairly quickly. After venturing a bit further into Shenzhen it was much better, but it was my wifes first time into SZ and she just wanted to turn around and go home the second we got there.
    You must look rich. Nobody at all approached me in there! Mind you, I tend to go shopping wearing my hiking gear not my "office" gear!
    mixedgirl likes this.

hey everyone thanks for the great answers.

hehe

yup you must look really rich.. try not to carry brands and dress down when you go shopping. or take friend who looks really poor.or an indian... like me, no one bothers to sell anything to me because i often dress like i just want to wear clothes for the sole purpose of protection from the weather..hehe

MovingIn07 likes this.

hehe. No I dont look rich at all and definitely dont dress up. I think its my young kids that attract the attention because I am white and my wife Japanese. People are always stopping to give them candy, or trying to talk a bit of Japanese with them. Usually it is not a huge problem, but I can say this one mall in Lo Wu was absolutely the worst compared to anywhere else we have been. Anyway, I wont be going there again, or maybe I will take an Indian along as you suggest.

It can be annoying at times, but they are working to make a sale for their shop and make commission for themselves.

Being a little more pushy and aggressive can mean the difference between a potential customer walking away or buying.

I have been in shops where im thinking of buying something, but not too sure and the sales has made up my mind to buy. I have also been in shops where i want to buy something, but the sales have been busy chatting at the back and i cant get any service, so I can't be bothered to wait and just walk out.

Just think of the other walks of life where we encourage people to be more aggressive and ambitious in getting what they want. The pushy sales people are just doing this.

mixedgirl likes this.