Hong Kong NET Native English Teacher EMB Scheme Interview

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma:
    So are you saying that Hong Kong welcomes people with no teaching skills or experience? I sure hope not.
    some language centres and schools certainly do, they deem your skin colour more important above all else.

Well, yeah .. that is true, but isnt the NET scheme run by the govt?

It's the EMB who deem whether you are acceptable.

Your C.V. is then passed to schools and they become your employer. If they decide you're not white enough/haven't got the right experience/wrong age or sex, then that's their choice. Your c.v. gets passed on.

So then MJKen is just in thinking he should have a job even though he has never had a teaching job anywhere let alone Hong Kong?

It would be a poor assumption if he did. He may be lucky if the interviewers like him and he can meet the criteria in other ways (other work experience, etc.)

But then, there have been applications from experienced, qualified teachers and they have been rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by Banker:
    Hi,

Are you interested teaching in GZ, China again?

I've never taught there...but thank you for the kind offer!

Receiving NET benefits if I am a permanent resident

I am a Canadian citizen and I have recently got my Hong Kong permanent ID. Some people say that I can't receive any benefits and some people say that I can eventhough I have been here for 9 years. What can I do and say to EDB to convince them that my ties are to Canada and it is my usual place of residence?

Since you have already declared to ImmD that you have taken HK as your place of permanent residence (and, if I understand correctly, declared to the Canadian authorities that you are not resident there) I can't see what grounds you have for thinking EMB would believe you...