Warning: Petty Complaint to follow....

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Warning: Petty Complaint to follow....

Hi,

I've been in Hong Kong for a year now. I think it's a great place to live. HOWEVER....I have yet to get what I would call a 'good haircut'. I'm a guy who likes his hair to be kept quite short. My hair is kind of thick and curly (hence why I keep it short). Well, local hairstylists seem to have this aversion to cutting my hair as short as I want it. They also seem to want to give me a 'style'. I just want a simple crew cut. Yes, it's short. But after a week it's exactly the right length.

Usually, they end up giving me a 'fauxmo' (fake mohawk). So, I had that for a while. But really, I just want a short, simple haircut. Yet, if I insist on going shorter, they whip out the thinning shears and 'thin' my hair to a really short length, which is not what I want either. Back in Canada, I go to a regular barber shop and they know exactly what I want. This could be at any shop. They usually cut it 'finger length' on top, and use the 'clippers' on the sides.

So, please, someone...anyone..can you recommend somewhere? I have been going to the same guy most of the year, but I find I can't get a consistent cut out of him. I'll say 'the same as last time', but it usually never is. I went to somewhere new yesterday and even brought about 10 pics I found on the internet. I could tell he didn't want to cut my hair that short. It was a struggle to get it as short as it is.

Thank you ! (rant over)

Last edited by Laowai79; 01-03-2007 at 10:40 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

Oops...wrong forum. D'oh!

Try the barber shop at the Fleet Arcade. They're used to doing cuts for the Navy guys, so they shouldn't have a problem with cutting your hair down.

haircuts

hi all,

i have the same problem with hairdressers here... show them pics of myself with the haircut i want, they nod and i get a whacky mullet... i think they understand 1 of 2 things, extreme "HK styled" cuts or whacky mullets... what frustrates me is that they use battery operated clippers which are usually no match for my hair but no hairdresser seems to have a clue of what an electric clipper is... anyway, next time i'll just have to bring a set of clippers or something or give myself a haircut which may turn out better than a whack mullet.... thats my rant for the day...

NY

I have electric clippers that I use to cut my husband's hair. He never complains about my haircuts (at least not when I am holding a clipper next to his ear).

My advice: buy some clippers - find a friend and Bob's your uncle.

Or theres the other option.

Stop using cheap local hairdressers and think of spending $300 upwards for a cut done by westerners who are used ot western hair.

there problem solved.

Do you need to be a member to enter the fleet arcade?

LoL, i agree about bad hair cuts in hong kong! Had first hand experience at that. I would recommend you get a hair cut in china, like shenzen, whenever you have time to go there...You pay much less and you also get a 30 minute massage included. They cut very precise and you can see they really put lots of effort into it (Overall you will spend about 1 hours there, with washing, massage, etc..)

>> Do you need to be a member to enter the fleet arcade?

No.

$300 -- I spend $200 at the Barber Shop in Wellington Street. Ask for one of the guys. One of our members found the woman's haircuts a bit below standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Or theres the other option.

Stop using cheap local hairdressers and think of spending $300 upwards for a cut done by westerners who are used ot western hair.

there problem solved.
    Okay...point taken. However, I don't feel that I should have to pay 300+ dollars for a haircut that would cost me 100 in Canada and take 10 minutes. Especially when you need to get a cut fairly often when it's short.

Still, do you have any recommendations for western hairstylists? I've heard some buzz regarding Paul Gerrard's.
    Last edited by Laowai79; 01-03-2007 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast