Bus-octopus card question

Closed Thread

Bus-octopus card question

I've noticed that locals sometimes swipe their octopus cards when exiting the bus -- can someone explain this practice to me? do you get a partial refund on bus fare if you don't travel the entire bus route?

On some bus routes, you can get a reduced fare if you get off before the final destination. You need to check the bus schedule carefully to find out. It is often listed to the right of the list of the bus stops.

Citybus & NWFB - Members of Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and NWS Holdings - Home

I believe you would only do this on the big buses. I have yet to find a minibus route that requires two swipes of the Octopus card in order to get a reduced fare. Hope this helps.

Thanks! That is very helpful. I have only noticed it on some of the double decker Citybuses.

on the minibus you have to
    a. tell the driver it's short distance ( the exact station )
    and wait until he adjusts the fare before you swipe

OR

b. you have the amount handy in coins, tell him, and then drop off your coins

And on some New Lantao buses there are section fares available (see their website for details), but only for cash. So on those you need to tell the driver and deposit the appropriate amount.

The main big bus route that I know with section fares is the #6 (and 6A, and 6X, and 260 (but only Monday to Friday on the 260) between Central and Stanley. If you get off at or before Repulse Bay (in either direction) then there's a section fare available (i.e. a refund if you present your Octopus as you get off).

There are also many BBI (Bus-Bus Interchange) discounts available. Details here: Citybus & NWFB - Members of Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and NWS Holdings - Fare Concession

And for the three months from 3 February to 2 May there will be a $2 discount on every second journey you make on Citybus on the same day (excluding Airport, North Lantau, Disney, and Cross-harbour routes) and a 20% discount on same day returns on many of the cross-harbour routes. Details here: http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/fareConces...concession.pdf

Last edited by PDLM; 30-01-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    And on some New Lantao buses there are section fares available (see their website for details), but only for cash. So on those you need to tell the driver and deposit the appropriate amount.

The main big bus route that I know with section fares is the #6 (and 6A, and 6X, and 260 (but only Monday to Friday on the 260) between Central and Stanley. If you get off at or before Repulse Bay (in either direction) then there's a section fare available (i.e. a refund if you present your Octopus as you get off).

There are also many BBI (Bus-Bus Interchange) discounts available. Details here: Citybus & NWFB - Members of Chow Tai Fook Enterprises and NWS Holdings - Fare Concession

And for the three months from 3 February to 2 May there will be a $2 discount on every second journey you make on Citybus on the same day (excluding Airport, North Lantau, Disney, and Cross-harbour routes) and a 20% discount on same day returns on many of the cross-harbour routes. Details here: http://www.nwstbus.com.hk/fareConces...concession.pdf
    I've never noticed any of this before???