Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cathy789

Move to Yuen Long?

Closed Thread

Move to Yuen Long?

Hi Everyone.

Can't afford the TST rents anymore, and have found an awesome place in YL. I have a couple of questions/concerns that I wouldn't mind the board's input.

1. Even though there are tons of people, the culture ratio is much more pronounced. That is not really a concern as I don't really hangout with expats. I have children and spend all my non-working time with them. So the question is.....does this really matter?

2. Currently I have an insignificant commute to work, but moving this far out, my commute would probably be 45 mins to an hour. Will I grow to hate it, or just take it as part of life to less expensive living, huge parks, clean air.....etc.

Thanks for you thoughts to these points, as well as any additional comments.

We lived in Yuen Long for a couple of years, ( pre kidlets ) our apartment then, had a a great view of Yuen Long Park, just off Ma Tin road. To be quite honest, it is all much of a muchness. I never felt any different living there, to living in Yau Yat Chuen, Siu Lam or Tai Mong Tsai, or Che Keng Tuk... The only difference is the view from your windows, and the general environment that surrounds your neighbourhood....

I am pretty comfy with hanging out with the locals ( 95% of the people that live here permanently are ) and we aren't all that fussed, but now that we have kids, we chose to move back to a neighbourhood that has more grounded family's that have kids our age, in an environment that isn't choked with traffic, and where shopping for groceries is a bit more relaxed, so for now, the Sai Kung district ticks all the right boxes for us, until we settle in the EU ( France ), eventually.

Bear in mind that village houses in Clearwater bay that neighbour Hang Hau / Tseung Kwan O are very affordable, your commute time to work would be less than Yuen Long, and a ( net ) 700ft 3 bedroom village home ( more like 850ft compared to an apartment that has much less floor space efficiency ) with a 700ft roof terrace will cost you around 12K per month, possible less with a bit of shrewd negotiation.

Last edited by Skyhook; 30-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.

YL is a great location - particularly if you want to be on the MTR line or have access to freeway buses which makes commuting much easier than living somewhere like Sai Kung which only has that one road which gets chokka with traffic.

I find that with the commute you just need a strategy. I do a number of things .... I catch an early bus I sleep; I catch a later bus I open my laptop and work; sometimes I learn a language on my ipod... mostly it just becomes part of your day. Welcome to the NT!

元朗遊記 The Incredible Journey of Yuen Long

For me, Yuen Long is the most liveable town in Hong Kong, esp. if you have children.

Where did you live before HK? In both the UK and Australia my commutes were longer than YL to HK! 45 minutes isn't long although remember that is MTR time. You have to get to the MTR and from the MTR to work - maybe call it an hour and a bit.

That said, if you add a half hour to your commute but save 10k on rent...

Like Moving07 said, it doesn't have to be wasted time, the BBC have some great podcasts. If you have mobile internet you could even spend more time on Geoexpat!!

Id recommend looking at bus options for your commute too- even if slightly longer the benefits of a seat and a quieter environment can be worth it id you want to do something with the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for all your responses. I have lived 2 years in Tai Kok Tsui, and now 2 years in Hung Hom. I want something cheaper, bigger and quieter. So YL seems like the place. I don't know much about Clearwater Bay, but have been there a couple of time for food excursions.
    I have a couple more weeks to commit, but I am strongly leaning to YL, if I find the right apartment.

Best regards

Sorry SlingBlade, hope you don't mind me highjacking your post but was just about the post something very similar :-) My wife and I are currently looking at buying a village house in Yuen Long because the prices out there seem very affordable. I'm not asking for opinions about the current state of the housing market (as I know many people have them!), because this is primarily going to be a place for us to live in for the long term as opposed to purely an investment.

My question is around the transport options as well. The commute itself shouldn't be too much of an issue for me as I work in Olympic, which is actually quite quick from Yuen Long. But how about out of hours options? Are there late night/all night buses that run from Kowloon and the island back to Yuen Long. I'm assuming the village houses are often quite far from the MTR as well, would that be correct? If so, are there regular buses connecting these areas? How late do they usually run?

Thanks for your input!

I don't mind the commute at all as another poster had said, it's all down to how well you manage your time. You can easily pack in quite a bit of extra work on a 45min train journey/bus or you can stick on your ipod and catch up with some sleep.
    whether you grow to love it or hate it is down to each individual. i come from a country where commutes up to 45mins is pretty normal so i'm used to it. and i do find that the commute is worth the bigger living space of a village house, 'fresher' air and 'quieter' living area (other than the odd dogs barking), cheap car parking and some lush green mountains to look out at.

not all village houses are far from the MTR. for example, village houses along the Kam Sheung Road, Yuen Long is only 5 mins from the MTR, depending on how far down the road you are. And then there is the East Rail on the other side which mini buses/buses run very frequently.
    I know there is a bus that runs throughout the night from Causeway Bay, via Central to Yuen Long centre. it also stops at the Tai Lam tunnel where you can then get a taxi ride/mini bus to wherever your village house is. it's all quite convenient.

Topix likes this.

HI Cathy......no problem. If I like renting/living out there in YL, then I would definitely consider buying a village house, or even High Rise apt. out in NT. This is kind of like a "trial run".

My individual concern, for the time frame beyond 2 years is school proximity for my daughter. What school? No idea yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingBlade:
    HI Cathy......no problem. If I like renting/living out there in YL, then I would definitely consider buying a village house, or even High Rise apt. out in NT. This is kind of like a "trial run".

My individual concern, for the time frame beyond 2 years is school proximity for my daughter. What school? No idea yet.
    School wise im afraid I can't help you as I don't have any kids. But I do know there are LOADS of local schools in the area, and some International Kindergartens.