Like Tree3Likes

Baby Formula

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ScotchDrinker:
    Apologies in advance of course if you are in fact a devoted supporter of every aspect of breastfeeding.
    Apology accepted.

Wow...look what I started.

Actually, what I had read about the two brands that were mentioned and another one I think It was Nestle, is that they cannot calculate how much formula to import into HK, because even thought the birth trends and consumption trends are understood, they cant figure out how many mainlanders will come to HK and buy up all the stock. That same formula, is rare on the mainland and is taxed to protect local producers who produce poison. So it really is a dilemma. I read in the SCMP today that a few companies were going to start making home deliverers in hk once they confirm that the customers are HK residents, and that they might stop supplying to some places that are hoarding in the NT......anyway, thanks for the input all.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    There absolutely IS a shortage of ENFAMIL brand baby formula in Hong Kong (including on HK island far from the border). It is often very hard to find - we sometimes have to go to 5 or 6 shops in various parts of HK to find it and even then only one or two tins are available when we do locate it. Other brands, not so much of a problem, although the Wyeth brand sometimes is sold out as many use it as the closest equivalent to the Enfamil brand available in HK.
    As I work in the Pharma industry I know what is going on and there are plenty of foreign brands available here of comparable quality other than the mentioned item. In fact Emfamil is not much different to other brands with good quality raw materials and consumers need to understand that there are other options out there.

We have used the Nestle and S26 formula, which we use in between breast feeds, and have recently changed to a French formula > Physiolac 1 ( Gilbert Laboratories ) 900G tins which we get delivered.

Didn't realise there was a shortage though, we have not had any problems getting formula in the 3 brands mentioned above...

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-02-2011 at 10:34 PM.

Had a nightmare buying EMFAMIl No.3 last week. I tried every shop I could find in CWB / Tui Keng Ling / TKO / Hang Hau / Po Lam and could not get any. Had to buy another formula in the end and wait for stock.
    ..Last time we were in Thailand we filled a suitcase with the stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    As I work in the Pharma industry I know what is going on and there are plenty of foreign brands available here of comparable quality other than the mentioned item. In fact Emfamil is not much different to other brands with good quality raw materials and consumers need to understand that there are other options out there.
    While I do agree that there are other decent formulas available (you don't need to work in the pharma industry to figure this out), why, exactly, do consumers "need" to understand that there are other options out there? If someone choses to feed their baby Enfamil it would be nice to know that it was available every time they go to the shop, like in the US/UK/etc. It isn't necessarily easy to get a baby to switch between formulas, even if their nutrition content is very similar (which of course it is, especially for 0-6 month olds) as sometimes a slightly different taste or texture will put the baby off, which is one (of many) reason why many prefer to stick with one brand that they know works.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlay:
    Had a nightmare buying EMFAMIl No.3 last week. I tried every shop I could find in CWB / Tui Keng Ling / TKO / Hang Hau / Po Lam and could not get any. Had to buy another formula in the end and wait for stock.
    ..Last time we were in Thailand we filled a suitcase with the stuff!
    I would have thought it was highly dangerous to fill your suitcase with white powder when leaving Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    While I do agree that there are other decent formulas available (you don't need to work in the pharma industry to figure this out), why, exactly, do consumers "need" to understand that there are other options out there?
    Ummm, for the stated obvious....if you can't find the brand that you are after what option do you have? There are some excellent Japanese and Australian formulations available in HK.

While there is a shortage on the mainland due to continued lack of consumer confidence in the mainland product this will be here for a month or two yet until manufacturing and importing catches up. Mead Johnson must be laughing all the way to be bank!

While you don't need to be in the Pharma industry to figure this out I know for a fact that most formulations are based on assumptions and hype due to good branding. There is not much in formulation differences from one brand to the next based on good ingredients.

Anyway we are talking to the converted and it's frustrating for all especially as you have stated it's a brand that you know works and babies can be quite fickle about changes.