Like Tree21Likes

some rude people

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Has anyone mentioned Hitler yet?

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Has anyone mentioned Hitler yet?
    Did he use the MTR?

I thought whistling at females walking past was one of the 'skills' all construction workers were taught at college.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgirl:
    Have you ever experienced some really rude people in HK? I am not trying to be cynical...we all have moments where we feel people are plain rude.

Just recently I got my arm grabbed by mainland chinese peopleon the MTR and some construction workers started whistling as i walked by. (I am not particularly attractive btw)
    There are rude people EVERYWHERE.

Construction workers (and many other men more generally) in the US (and I'm assuming many other places) whistle at women.
    Getting grabbed is offensive, but again that could happen anywhere.
    You may need to toughen up - what you've described seems like common behavior in many cities...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I thought whistling at females walking past was one of the 'skills' all construction workers were taught at college.
    Construction workers - college ???

Anyway, construction workers have been whistling at women passing by since, well at least they were pouring concrete for the Pantheon, if memory serves me.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Sorry guys, this post is quite pointless I know. I am feeling a lot more RATIONAL and i realize how stupid it is to post this. I think I can just easily say no or avoid it, just the arm grabbing thing hit me.

and to answer your question, I am about 5'8, and I don't mean to tell people that I am on the runway. I am really an ordinary girl I think. Anyway, maybe because I was in a much smaller city before, so I come here and I am overwhelmed by the different people I encounter.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    There are rude people EVERYWHERE.

Construction workers (and many other men more generally) in the US (and I'm assuming many other places) whistle at women.
    Getting grabbed is offensive, but again that could happen anywhere.
    You may need to toughen up - what you've described seems like common behavior in many cities...

You are right. I just need to toughen up. Thanks for the Nice slap. it's a good wake up call - i wasn't thinking rationally. thanks.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I've never been grabbed or whistled at here - take it (the whistling at least) as a compliment. Doesn't matter if they mean it in a good or bad way - if you choose to believe they are paying you a compliment you feel better about the experience! Much of the rudeness I see in HK is at least as much because the activity is deemed "rude" in the hard-wiring of my brain as anything else .... the pushing and bumping in street; loud discussions on the bus; closing lift doors in my face etc etc ... you basically have to change your own hard-wiring to cope with the situation around you. THEY are not going to change, so you have to. So - think positive thoughts and try not to let it get to you!
    Thanks Movingin07. You give the best answer- that was very insightful. As the other person said I just need to TOUGHEN UP. And also i wasn't thinking rationally. I won't post these vents anymore. Sorry Folks.

Whistling?! That is quite random, I really can't imagine someone local doing that at all as men aren't as forward here...staring obviously yes but whistling is a new one!

I do hate it when people get in your personal space and touch you, I don't mind if its a jam packed bus or train but sometimes there is space but they're just ignoring it

I used to think it was rudeness, some sort of 'power trip' game but actually I think its just because the majority of Hong Kongers grow up in more cramped, hustling and bustling conditions so they have smaller personal spaces but grabbing of the arm is a no no...unless they were falling and it was an accident maybe ?

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    Whistling?! That is quite random, I really can't imagine someone local doing that at all as men aren't as forward here...staring obviously yes but whistling is a new one!

I do hate it when people get in your personal space and touch you, I don't mind if its a jam packed bus or train but sometimes there is space but they're just ignoring it

I used to think it was rudeness, some sort of 'power trip' game but actually I think its just because the majority of Hong Kongers grow up in more cramped, hustling and bustling conditions so they have smaller personal spaces but grabbing of the arm is a no no...unless they were falling and it was an accident maybe ?
    Maybe they were just bored and had nothing to do, I was just shocked that some people grabbed my arm, but maybe it was an accident indeed- i wasnt thinking so rationally, i was just too angry. Anyway, thanks for the nice and polite reply. I appreciate it.

I don't even know if I can delete this post but after I took a huge breath i realize how meaningless this post is. So I don't need anymore replies. Thanks to all who gave me insightful replies, without being mean. I promise I will not vent out my frustrations on any one anymore. It's just that I came from a slightly smaller city and here I was just overwhelmed by the different people. And as for the person who said We are not the most civilized people, I didn't mean it that way - i just met only a COUPLE people like this. I need to think more maturely and toughen up.