Like Tree21Likes

some rude people

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

some rude people

Have you ever experienced some really rude people in HK? I am not trying to be cynical...we all have moments where we feel people are plain rude.

Just recently I got my arm grabbed by mainland chinese peopleon the MTR and some construction workers started whistling as i walked by. (I am not particularly attractive btw)

I wasn't flattered- i thought it was plain disgusting.

Last edited by mixedgirl; 07-02-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgirl:
    ...So I've lived in Hong Kong for a while but sometimes there is one thing that kind of bothers me - its different when living overseas (US, canada, etc)

anyway, I often experience rude whistling construction workers or people in general in HK. Whenever I go places I feel like the place is a runway. I feel like I'm constantly being judged (because I get stared at) and when I go shopping I get followed every inch, they would follow me.

Last time on the MTR these chinese guys grabbed my arm which COMPLETELY FREAKED ME OUT.

When I am in Canada/states no construction worker does that to anybody but I realized here if you kind of look different people like to stare which makes me uncomfortable.

I know I sound like a complaining , whining bitch but just sometimes i hope people realize what they are doing is rude.

And No, I don't think I am particularly attractive at all. I just am different - I want to blend in but I am half asian, half caucasian, and i am very tall because of my mixed ethnicity.

Does this happen to you in hong kong or in asian countries?

is this the culture?

PS: MOST PEOPLE IN GENERAL ARE very nice and very kind. not everyone is a pain but I am just wondering if it really is worse in HK.
    Post a couple of pics and we'll be able to help you answer the questions.

some construction workers started whistling as i walked by.
    Sorry about that. Me and my mates were just taking a break from digging up the road, and I admit we are not the most civilized of fellows.

Maybe you should get paid for it! I don't mean the groping kind but the runway kind!

If people find you 'different' then there is probably a market for it as a model.

just how tall exactly are you ?

I've never been grabbed or whistled at here - take it (the whistling at least) as a compliment. Doesn't matter if they mean it in a good or bad way - if you choose to believe they are paying you a compliment you feel better about the experience! Much of the rudeness I see in HK is at least as much because the activity is deemed "rude" in the hard-wiring of my brain as anything else .... the pushing and bumping in street; loud discussions on the bus; closing lift doors in my face etc etc ... you basically have to change your own hard-wiring to cope with the situation around you. THEY are not going to change, so you have to. So - think positive thoughts and try not to let it get to you!

Fiona in HKG and mixedgirl like this.

Just recently I got my arm grabbed by mainland chinese peopleon the MTR and some construction workers started whistling as i walked by...
    Got me arm grabbed - though, not roughly - a few times while travelling alone in Italy... Got whistled at by construction workers up on scaffolds while in Yorkshire, England...

Wasn't threatening, so never gave either situations much thought.

Arm grabbed by Mainlander (how would you know he is a mainlander btw?)? Whistling by construction worker? Have you recently noticed that you are being followed and watched recently?

Have you ever experienced some really rude people in HK? I am not trying to be cynical...we all have moments where we feel people are plain rude.

Just recently I got my arm grabbed by mainland chinese peopleon the MTR and some construction workers started whistling as i walked by. (I am not particularly attractive btw)

Maybe they thought you were blind and were trying to help.

If you find it disgusting here or can't handle rude people you are more than welcome to leave HK and go back to where you came from. The choice is always yours and no one is forcing you to live here
    Last edited by JaredHK; 07-02-2011 at 05:32 PM.
    klebestift likes this.

Whistling and comments....well just shrug it off I say and ignore them. Being manhandled is another thing altogether and I hope you gave the person a mouthful if that was called for...but it's a bit odd being grabbed - did someone hold your arm as they were talking to you, or try to pull you along with them, or did the train start off without them holding on to the rail/strap properly? Just seems very odd for someone to grab your arm on the MTR!
    dear giant likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast