Like Tree3Likes

Survival gear in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Survival gear in Hong Kong?

Hi everybody!
    Does anyone here know about some place in Hong Kong where it's possible to buy small "survival gear"? The kind of small stuff good to have in your bag when you're trekking (wire / flexible saw, flint, etc.)
    I've looked for that a bit everywhere, and I'm a bit desperate. There was almost nothing in Mong Kok trekking shops.
    Thanks for any piece of information.
    Seb

Last edited by Smejko; 11-02-2011 at 10:11 AM.

Try this site:

DealExtreme for things like Magnesium Fire Starter Survival Tool with Fire Sparkle

Try looking at their section on camping and hiking. There are wire saws, compasses, etc.

They are based in Hong Kong and S&H is included in the price.

Last edited by huja; 11-02-2011 at 10:52 AM.

The HK equivalent to survival gear is found in the Wan Chai Computer Market :s

Thank you guys. OK, I'll try those.
    Tiger Sun, do you have more details about this shop? Where (more or less) on Queen's Rd W?

Last edited by Smejko; 12-02-2011 at 07:55 AM.

OK, I've found it. Here's the address for those who'd be interested:
    Cobra International Limited
    Address : G/F., 238 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong.

Cobra's great for boys toys. But I don't think they do mini survival kits.

Just looked on deal extreme and this is the page you should check out:
    Hiking Equipment Store: Cheap Camping Accessories, Discount Hiking Accessories on Sale - DealExtreme

I think you are looking in the wrong places in the outdoor stores. I've seen these kits in protrek and most of the others, chamonix, RC outfitters, Overlander. All the proper outdoor stores.

I love looking round those kinds of stores!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Outdoor Mart has an Emergency Survival Kit for $99 and a Deluxe one for $159 (this includes a wire saw and firesteel). A wire saw alone is $42 and a firesteel is $69. This is for price comparison.

I'd second the Cobra recommendation. The stuff there is generally high quality, known branded stuff. Unlike, say, Dealextreme which does badly made crap with high failure rates- I've had 25% failure rates on a recent order of 16 items from there, and I remember ordering ten compasses, most of which pointed in different directions.

Trekking stores will carry flints (Protrek definitely does, I noticed them there last week). They all carry emergency bags and water treatment. Some carry first aid kits and SAM splints.

In HK, an outdoor survival kit is primarily a mobile phone and a little common sense- rescue services are amazingly good out here if you hit a real emergency that needs a medical evac.

Last edited by jgl; 16-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    mrdollars and MovingIn07 like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast