Power Generator???

Closed Thread

Power Generator???

Hi All,

looking for a store or person that has a gas (or other i guess) powered generator. Not sure if rentals of this can be found in Hong Kong? Any direction much appreciated. Thanks.

-ZB

Can't imagine one powered by gas. We have one powered by petrol on the boat - so I guess you could try boat builders and suppliers. Ours is certainly generic, a boat one would be fine on land. Having said that, they are VERY expensive to run and a pain to maintain. What do you need it for?

Last edited by MovingIn07; 13-02-2011 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Can't imagine one powered by gas.
    I guess he means gas as in gasoline, i.e. American English for petrol.

I would also look for people who supply the construction industry. Generally the supply here for residential customers is very reliable, so there is little demand, outside these industries and entertainment.

In the US a number are powered by gas (natural gas) which is often available from the public utility. These are generally not the portable type but larger backup power systems for storms and other blackouts. Portable ones are mainly gas (gasoline) powered.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the clarifications. As somebody who works in the electricity generation industry (at the larger scale) I'm very familiar with power stations that run on natural gas and had completely overlooked the fact that americans call petrol "gas".!

Natural gas powered whole home systems are growing in popularity in the US as the grid ages. Due to the size of the US many regions have above ground wires which often collapse in storms due to wind and falling branches. Even in some major areas like Washington DC large portions are covered with above ground lines, which leads to chaos in big storms. I think they run about $20,000 US or so. Can't imagine the need for something like that here unless in a more rural part of HK.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for your replies! Wait....you mean the whole world doesn't go off American terminology??? haha. Yes meant gasoline sorry. I don't think i'm going to find what I'm looking for here unfortunately. Was looking for something small, in the 4000W range, needed to power some elctronics where there will be no other power sources available. Thinking we will need to look for alternative solutions. Thanks again for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by zmb11:
    Thanks for your replies! Wait....you mean the whole world doesn't go off American terminology??? haha. Yes meant gasoline sorry. I don't think i'm going to find what I'm looking for here unfortunately. Was looking for something small, in the 4000W range, needed to power some elctronics where there will be no other power sources available. Thinking we will need to look for alternative solutions. Thanks again for your help!
    Pretty sure the one on our boat is about that. We can certainly only run the fridge, the TV and a couple of pc's on it - add an aircon and the whole thing trips. It's about the size of a bar-fridge.