Like Tree6Likes

"slimming" centres of hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Another thing that I've observed here is that there isn't the same kind attention paid to nutrition ideas. In other countries people pay attention to protein and carb intakes, the glycemic index of foods or even just basic calorie counts. You hear about it in casual conversation or it's mentioned in the media. I've never heard anyone talk about that sort of stuff here... instead, people talk about hot/cold values of food or other mystic qualities.
    I don't entirely agree with this. Carbs is a term understood by many locals and girls in particular. Also calaroie counting is far understood. There are many products out there that that talk about the amount of calories in a given product to help loose weight. Most HK girls think calories are bad which isn't necessarily correct.

But what you find is with the social aspect of HK with lunching and shopping many girls want to still do this, take some capsule to allow them to go out and continue this but then cut back on other areas.

What you also find is that most girls want to lose 2-3 kgs, 5 kgs at the most and in specific areas such as tummy, legs, arms etc. So they look to 'spot reduction', not overall reduction.

So alot of these slimming centres offer these services and you can get these pills in the shops which do these supposedly spot reductions and continue their wonderful lifestyle with no care!

I used join one of those slimming centres.

Their whole concept of weight loss is extremely different to what conventional weight loss is about. Firstly, they're all about "draining" your lymphatic system, in other words they have machines that can get rid of toxins, water and excess crap that's been building up in your body...

Some slimming centers, including the one that I joined, was very much against the idea of losing weight through exercise since they believe that building up muscle mass makes you bulky and unflattering.

I paid 10K for the regime and they say that I lost about 10inches overall (arms, waist, bust, thighs, calves plus a few other areas of measurement) but I seriously did not see any difference, apart from the fact that my skin looked much better from being on their machines... anyway that was many years ago and I am 100% sure whatever I lost I already gained back.

I now join the gym and I must say that the traditional diet and exercise is still the best and the only way to keeping it off long term.

Anyone who wants to join a slimming center should think twice.

virago and mixedgirl like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Another thing that I've observed here is that there isn't the same kind attention paid to nutrition ideas. In other countries people pay attention to protein and carb intakes, the glycemic index of foods or even just basic calorie counts. You hear about it in casual conversation or it's mentioned in the media. I've never heard anyone talk about that sort of stuff here... instead, people talk about hot/cold values of food or other mystic qualities.

If anyone with more local knowledge can convincingly contradict the second point, I'd be interested to hear it. It's something that I've been wondering about for some time.
    Indeed but they have far less obese than the US or Europe (in%) so while they do not talk about it (westerners love to talk indeed), they still seem to eat more healthy than in most western countries.

My wife is local, she does not care about carb or whatever but she insists on eating at least a dish of veg and a fruit per meal, her nutrition is mostly rice and she eats meat/fish but those are usually not that "fat". She will also insist on drinking "warm" water instead of cold. (since you mention hot/cold)