Less polluted parts of Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Less polluted parts of Hong Kong?

Hello

We are planning to move to Hong Kong in May. For the first few months, we will be living in a serviced apartment, but after that we need to look for a rental apartment. We were wondering if there are any areas of Hong Kong that are less polluted than others. We were there in January and while all looks to be pretty polluted, we were wondering if there is anywhere that significantly better, relatively speaking? We will be moving with a five years old daughter. She is allergic to dust so we really considering different options before accenting the job. We tought about the Peak or the south part. Any advice you can provide?

Hoping to find a good balance where we can live close to school in a less polluted area but not isolated!

We will appreciate any advice you may offer.

The south of the island : Stanley, Tai Tam, is supposed to be less polluted. On the Kowloon side, Saikung and Clearwater Bay are less polluted too.
    To avoid : Central, Soho, Causeway Bay, Midlevels, Happy Valley etc.

Schoolwise, it doesn't really matter where you live (unless you want an ESF school because I think they have catchment areas) because all schools have buses... (really safe, with "bus mothers", great system).

You could look at Park Island and Discovery Bay. No private cars on these islands. Only shuttle buses and ferries. The ferries are 24/7. But there are times that it can be a hassle as well.

you could look at this link which is the HK observatory API tables.

http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/

tung chung is also quite good now good for all

As much as it seems like the New Territories would be good to live in, they are actually pretty bad. A lot of Hong Kong's pollution comes from the mainland. So the new territories can be pretty bad, esp. around Yuen Long etc.

I heard there is an area of Tai Po that is pretty good. I guess it has mountains to the north and south and Ocean to the east I think. So it is kind of protected.

actually HKChigger is right. HK is such a small place that any rubbish that does float over from Shenzhen and down the river delta tends to cover the whole territory. And that includes all the areas popular with expats which, for some strange reason, don't have any pollution meters (Disco bay, Sai Kung/CWB, Island South etc)

I doubt that Tai Po is any clearer than anywhere else. Some days I can see the yellow/greyish tinge of the smog floating above the town, even on a supposedly 'clearer' day when it becomes more obvious (not disguised by mist).

Having said that, for 'relatively' better air, as ontheroad says avoid places where there is heavy car congestion and tall buildings very close together where air doesn't circulate as well.

Last edited by Pekkerhead; 13-03-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Who ever said Tung Chung is not polluted must be crazy. Even though you can't see the smog like you do in urban Hong Kong, pollution at Tung Chung is probably the worst in all of Hong Kong's residential area. A plane takes off / land at HKIA every 3 minutes. A 747's CO2 out put is equivalent to 40 cars at normal driving speed, a lot more for take off. Add on the braking from landing, mid air fuel dump, idle planes and blah blah blah, and more blah blahs, Tung Chung 's pollution is probably worst then kowloon city when kai tak was still around.

Quote Originally Posted by fafo:
    Hello

We are planning to move to Hong Kong in May. For the first few months, we will be living in a serviced apartment, but after that we need to look for a rental apartment. We were wondering if there are any areas of Hong Kong that are less polluted than others. We were there in January and while all looks to be pretty polluted, we were wondering if there is anywhere that significantly better, relatively speaking? We will be moving with a five years old daughter. She is allergic to dust so we really considering different options before accenting the job. We tought about the Peak or the south part. Any advice you can provide?

Hoping to find a good balance where we can live close to school in a less polluted area but not isolated!

We will appreciate any advice you may offer.

I am staying in Tseung Kwan O and never face problem related to pollution.

Eastern New Territories, South Side of HK Island would be least polluted areas.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast