Like Tree16Likes

Water in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW:
    Perhaps I'm so picky to begin with because I grew up in a small town that had almost bottled-water quality water.
    You are aware that Bonaqua (and its equivalents in other countries) is simply tap water, in a bottle (for the profit of the Coca-Cola company)?

Is there fluoride in hk water? I heard one geo member nearly died from drinking too much hong kong water.

Compare the WHO 2006 list to the US EPA's list of contaminants:

http://water.epa.gov/drink/contaminants/index.cfm#1

There are a large number of potential contaminants that are simply not on the WHO's guidelines, many of which are industrial chemicals. The EPA's limits for concentrations of many of the chemicals are substantially lower too.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 26-02-2011 at 12:17 AM.
    dear giant and JamesW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Any data to support that assertion? The WSD claims that the water they deliver is in conformance with WHO Guidelines on everything: http://www.wsd.gov.hk/filemanager/en...inking_b-e.pdf
    Yes, the water meets WHO guidelines but is not as good as the water in Macao for standards.

The buildings here may or may not be good but I have found that since someone posted how to check that my building is drinkable and I was boiling it for a year here.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You are aware that Bonaqua (and its equivalents in other countries) is simply tap water, in a bottle (for the profit of the Coca-Cola company)?
    Never heard of it.

But like I said, I can easily smell/taste a difference between my tap water in Seattle / filtered tap water / Hong Kong boiled tap water / bottled water and water from the town I grew up.

Never heard of it.

But like I said, I can easily smell/taste a difference between my tap water in Seattle / filtered tap water / Hong Kong boiled tap water / bottled water and water from the town I grew up.
    Yep, HK tap water tastes (and smells) terrible.

If you can smell it and taste it then that's the building you are in. Certainly a huge difference between places I've lived here. Low density / village always been fine, human warehouse absolutely terrible.
    Posted via Mobile Device

oh god...i just had some boiled tap. literally made me cringe.
    Cringing because boiled water is the safest?
    Football16 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Cringing because boiled water is the safest?
    Because it's disgusting. And no, it's not safer than bottled water if it contains random harmful chemicals, unless you buy sketchy bottled water.

Because it's disgusting. And no, it's not safer than bottled water if it contains random harmful chemicals
    That's a big "if". Can you provide any scientific data at all to suggest that it does? (At least more than there are in whatever your favourite brand of bottled water is, assuming you drink mineral/spring water rather than distilled)?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast