what do you love about hk?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what do you love about hk?

as our move to hk is fast becoming a reality, i'm starting to feel a little nervous. all i seem to hear from folks here (sing) is that hk is great for childless couples and not for families. eeks! we're a family.

just wondering what folks living there (especially those with kids but not exclusively) love about hk life? for instance, here in sing, we love the botanic gardens, the zoo, and cycling along the beach.

Hong Kong Park, Kowloon Park, Botanical Gardens, Shek O beachfront, Tsim Sha Tsiu Science Museum, History Museum, Art Museum, Peak Tram, that amusement park place (forget the name- Ocean Park?), Meli Melo art jamming (not that I ever seem to have time), and on and on. The hard part of HK life is time - or lack thereof. And, the experience is heavily influenced by the work environment. If that's happy - you're happy. If not, make sure to find balancing influences very early on.

Enjoy!
    J

All of the above (except "art jamming" WTF is that? ), plus:

- The countryside generally, and hiking on Lantau Island and in the New Territories (and even on HK Island) specifically. Lots of little live jazz bars.
    - A huge variety of places to go and eat different things (as in Singapore).
    - The ability to jet off to all sorts of places for the weekend (also as in Singapore).
    - Seasons (at least relative to Singapore, not that we have snow).

I'm single, but people who know who have kids seem to never stop doing all sorts of things with them: sports, music, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JJexpat:
    Tsim Sha Tsiu Science Museum
    Last time I was in HK I went to take a walk around Tsim Tsa Tsui and tried to find the space museum. I walked round and round and could only find a movie theater... Is that the space museum? A museum of... large open space that just so happens to have a movie projector in it??

The Science Museum is in TST East. Details here:
    http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/Science/eabout.htm

berryplucker,

lots of little live jazz bars? really? and hiking? sign me up. foodwise sing's been crap for me because i'm vegetarian, very disappointing after all the raves i'd heard about the food here. hope i'm pleasantly surprised in hk on this front.

thanks for input--you too JJexpat, made me feel better.

tex

>> except "art jamming" WTF is that

Get drunk and paint.. well they try to position it a little bit differently, but really it is a bunch of people drinking and painting. Have a look.. its off Stanley Street, closer towards Sheung Wan.

>> Hiking

Take a look at http://www.hkoutdoors.com - run by a member of GeoExpat. He has written a book about hiking in hong kong and also arranges walking tours.

Er, vegetarian is going to be pretty hard in HK too I'm afraid, unless you are very fond of Indian food. Chinese "vegetarian" normally consists of trying to make soya products with a taste and texture as close as possible to some sort of meat. I'd try to get cured before you come if I were you.

Last edited by berryplucker; 28-07-2004 at 10:11 AM.

Meli Melo has dropped the drinks (unless they've picked that up again - I did say I don't have time ;-)

It is a great concept...you hang out with your canvas getting creative with non-alcholic drinks. Personally, I really liked the wine bar and painting concept.

But...it is damn hard to get to Central after a long day in Kwun Tong...doesn't anything happen on Kowloon side???

JJ

Question Hiking Vegetarian

Any English Speaking hiking group in HK ?

Any English Speaking vegetarian group in HK ?

Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast