How to organize time for 11 year old boy in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to organize time for 11 year old boy in Hong Kong?

My husband’s nephew, 11 year old boy, is coming over to visit us next week and we need an advise how to organize his time in Hong Kong. We know of course about Disneyland, Ocean Park, Pink Dolphins, etc., but we are looking for some kind of sport or outdoor activities, a lot of fun, appropriate for his age. We don’t think he would be very interesting in museums and this sort of things. If you have any ideas how to make his visit special and a lot of fun I’ll be grateful for your suggestions.

What are the boy's interests? Most 11 year olds already have very definite ideas of what they do and don't enjoy. It also depends on where he comes from - if he's from somewhere like England he might enjoy a day at the beach, whereas if from Australia that suggestion would be met with a response of "Boooorrring!"
    But a few things that might work - Kadoorie Farm, Tai O (not just for the pink dolphins!), a trip to Cheung Chau or Lamma, a visit to a wet market (my experience is that the "gross out" factor goes a long way to impressing tween boys), Coastal Defence Museum (includes a lot of outside area) ... You can find plenty of possibilities on sites like <title>HOME - Hong Kong Extras, or the "green" section of www.discoverhongkong.com - maybe your nephew would like to review these websites himself so he can choose things that would interest him.

1) trip to sai kung. see the boats along the pier with all of the fresh seafood. have dinner (if he doesn't like seafood, then you can just get paisano's pizza by the slice). then you could either take a sampan to one of the little islands or if you want a later-night type activity, you could try your hand at squid fishing.

2) take the cable car to the big buddha.

3) stanley beach/market

4) science museum (very hands on museum, full of experiments etc for the kids to play with)

5) kadoorie farm in tai po (to see the biggest dang pigs you ever saw)

6) trip to tai o on lantau to see the houses on stilts and then take a boat trip to see the pink dolphins...

7) disney

8) ocean park

9) peak tram

10) tram ride along hk island

Thanks a lot for your advice. He is from Canada and I’m afraid he is interesting mostly in hockey and computer games. This is the reason why it’s not easy for us to find something interesting for him in HK.

hopefully he understands that the whole point of travelling around the world is that you experience different things...

What about one of the big computer malls in Wan Chai, Mong Kok or Sham Shui Po, if he's into gaming he might spend a few hours wandering around making his wish list! You could also put a post on here calling on 'gamers', there are a few that post on this site regularly and they will know where the gaming cafes are.

Temple Street Market and I agree with the wet market for the gross out factor!!! Wan Chai market is particularly gory as is Kowloon City! Actually, Wanchai Market has better quality knock offs than those on Kowloon side IMO so he might enjoy picking up some 'designer' ts there.

Monkeys at Shatin, Star Ferry, Symphony of Lights, Avenue of the Stars, everything Cara said. If he likes fantastic yummy desserts and you can face a trip to Yuen Long..........PM me!

If he drives you mad you can give him a real Hong Kong experience....PM either Carang or me and book him into one of our tutorial centres, a couple of hours of phonics and he'll soon see reason :-)

Paintball and or airsoft

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    If he drives you mad you can give him a real Hong Kong experience....PM either Carang or me and book him into one of our tutorial centres, a couple of hours of phonics and he'll soon see reason :-)
    too funny! that would sort him out in a hurry... but as my classes are for 1-5 yr olds, he may feel a little out of place...

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    too funny! that would sort him out in a hurry... but as my classes are for 1-5 yr olds, he may feel a little out of place...
    Ha, yes, although that might work even better!!

If he's Canadian, what about Ice Skating at Cityplaza?

I don't know many 10 year olds who don't like shopping as well.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast