TESOL course in Zhuhai - any experiences?

Closed Thread

TESOL course in Zhuhai - any experiences?

Hi everyone, I am planning to take a 4 week in-class TESOL certification in Zhuhai, China over the Christmas/New Year period later this year. I was wondering whether anyone has any related experiences to share, or might be considering doing the same thing?

Also, any recommendations for things to do around Zhuhai for a 20 year old girl travelling alone. Thanks!

For a start you could try looking in forums related to Zhuhai, rather than those related to Hong Kong which is, in effect, a different country!

I realise that, but searching for forums relating to Zhuhai/TESOL actually brought me here, probably as most people who take their TESOL qualification in Zhuhai end up working in HK or nearby areas.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Why don't you contact TESOL about the course as it should be registered and information available about the school.

And look at Daves ESL cafe on google.
    Posted via Mobile Device

visit oceanspring resort

Quote Originally Posted by miaxx:
    I realise that, but searching for forums relating to Zhuhai/TESOL actually brought me here, probably as most people who take their TESOL qualification in Zhuhai end up working in HK or nearby areas.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    HK vs. 'nearby areas' = HUGE difference.

I haven't taken the TESOL they run in Zhuhai, but I've met a few people who have. It's slightly flaky, but not too bad, basically.

It's not a 'proper' TESOL/TEFL course (ie it's not a registered RSA Cambridge or Trinity course) but it is considerably cheaper and does include classroom teaching. The pedagogy is rather narrow and limited - as far as I remember they teach people to teach a 'standard' lesson with basically the same core task each time (a 'dialogue' as far as I remember).

So basically it's somewhere in between, better than an online course (it has classroom teaching) but not as good as a 'proper' course.

English for Asia is a good outfit in HK. We have interviewed these folks on their grads several times now and their professionalism in providing references for their grads is outstanding. They have very high standards and if I wanted a reference from an organization these guys go out of their way to assist. They also give a balanced view of their grads so our client just does not see accolades only. Those references get discounted fast.

We had to call their office yesterday only to find this person's course supervisor in China for two weeks. Email reply with China number was within a few hours. Office was able to reach the instructor who had all the information ready and this was great. These guys are easier to reach than university profs as they seem to have a sense that if you pay for the program you have paid also for after course references. I am not sure of this - but our experience with these outfits that do TESOL here and in Thailand etc are very responsive and do not sugarcoat their references but do them professionally.

Trinity CertTESOL - English for Asia

Their cert is from Trinity College in the UK.

Not sure if they run this in Zuhai but check them out.

Last edited by Football16; 09-03-2011 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    Their cert is from Trinity College in the UK.
    Just to be clear, there are several "Trinity Colleges" in the British Isles. This one is nothing to do with Trinity College Cambridge, Trinity College Oxford, or Trinity College Dublin (to name the three most reputable Trinity Colleges).