Like Tree7Likes

Limit placed on purchasing cigarettes in HK - 2 packs only?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Original Post Deleted
    I'd ask you to give it another chance...its quite well written.

As for legal but objectionable activities : purchasing tobacco is no more objectionable than purchasing cans of beans or KY Jelly.

If the resulting subsequent activities are done in private and/or without inconveniencing others, the posters should be just left alone.

HC

Original Post Deleted
    Granted.
    But what does that have to do with asking where to buy tobacco and then getting heckled for it?

If I wask you "Where can I buy some KY" will you then get the Westboro Baptist Church to hound me?

HC

Original Post Deleted
    Thank you. Certainly interesting POV, but the libertarian in me refuses to agree to the ideas presented :-)

HC

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    This has nothing to do with:
    seatbelts : a legislated and legally enforced activity
    drink-driving: a criminal activity
    water-bans : an illegal activity during certain times of the year

Smoking (in certain areas) and purchasing of cigarettes is a perfectly legal activity and when a poster asks about where/how to purchase the legal product, should not be heckled nor harrassed.

HC
    "Turning drinkers into social lepers

A Coalition of the Concerned is determined that those who enjoy a drink should join smokers as modern outcasts."

The opening line and title suggest this should not be taken seriously.

The article makes as much sense as your lack of understanding how changes have been made in other societies to prevent smokers from polluting public places and how even smokers there generally support and respect these bans. All of these campaigns your article attacks were as I suggested - not from a single change or rule but education, rules, options for smokers to quit - help, and enforcement.

Saying drinking driving is illegal hardly stops that problem. Same with saying the law says wear seat belts.

The article you quote is from a fringe group who suggests that a social drinker is a leper.

I agree let's not attack a questioner.