Life Expectancy

Closed Thread

Exclamation Life Expectancy

Here's a chart that may interest you guys. While pollution is pretty gnarly in HK in my opinion, with the skies always some murky glaze, it "may" not be as big a deal as we feel it is......??

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications.../2102rank.html

I am frankly... surprised..

Oakland, California and Shatin, Hong Kong

Maybe the pollution has an equally gnarly side effect...

Of course there are lots of other factors that contribute as well: diet, genetics, lifestyle, etc...

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

lies! damn lies! statistics!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedFates:
    Here's a chart that may interest you guys. While pollution is pretty gnarly in HK in my opinion, with the skies always some murky glaze, it "may" not be as big a deal as we feel it is......??

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications.../2102rank.html

I am frankly... surprised..
    Don't be; see what Donald did with the figures

CE speaks at "Business for Clean Air" Joint Conference

...We cannot separate Hong Kong's air from the PRD's air. And we have no right to complain about Hong Kong's air quality if we ourselves pollute the Pearl River Delta. But also we have to look at these things in perspective too, on this point on the emigrating or departure of foreign executives from Hong Kong. We know that air quality in Hong Kong is not pristine pure as in some Scandinavian cities or in the North and South Poles. We know our food may not be 100 per cent safe. And this is accepted. And we know our neighbours may not be as developed as some other countries. But you have to look at the problem in the round. In the final analysis, the health of the people is measured by how long they live, and this is where it counts. The life expectancy in Hong Kong is among the highest in the world. As far as men are concerned, in last year's count men lived to 78.8 years ? life expectancy ? the longest in the world. Longer than in Japan....

read it all...
    http://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/2...0611270129.htm

and be prepared to be surprised

Classic mistake of deliberate misunderstanding of the cause and effect, and reading the time series wrong.

The pollution has increased like hell during past 10 years. Of course it does not show in life expectancy figures yet. It will show there maybe in 10-20 years time, maybe later.

Life expectancy is far too rough measurement. HKU has pointed out that the cases of respiratory illnesses at HK Hospitals have increased clearly during past years.