Like Tree26Likes

HONG KONG CAGE DWELLERS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

HONG KONG CAGE DWELLERS

Hi,

Does anyone know any charities working with or helping the people who live in cages? If you do, could you leave the name of the charity and maybe an email address please.

Thanks!

Soco does work with them. Here's a quick link ..

SoCO at Hong Kong ArtWalk 2009
    Untitled Document

It really is sad that in such a so-called developed city like Hong Kong we still have people living in cages. I really thought this was a thing of the past. :/

St Stephen's Society works with these people and a lot of other marginalised groups.

SOCO

Hi
    I strongly recommend SOCO too. PM me for the English speaking social worker's email address. They do really valuable work and have some interesting, eye opening projects (especially ask about mentoring etc) volunteers can be involved in, even if they don't speak Cantonese.

Quote Originally Posted by coco1:
    Hi
    I strongly recommend SOCO too. PM me for the English speaking social worker's email address. They do really valuable work and have some interesting, eye opening projects (especially ask about mentoring etc) volunteers can be involved in, even if they don't speak Cantonese.
    That's amazing. 100,000 cage livers in HK. I know space is tight but that number is astounding.

I may be able to help with food. Please PM me if this is appropriate.

hi! i am really interested in donating time and resources for this cause, would i be able to have the email please.

Quote Originally Posted by ou7blaze:
    It really is sad that in such a so-called developed city like Hong Kong we still have people living in cages. I really thought this was a thing of the past. :/
    It's another dirty secret which the HK gov doesn't want to share with the world. They pretend they don't exist so they can wash their hands and keep it "clean" from the stain of cage dwellers.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    That are not literally "cages" as the term "cage" is used to define a space within which a living being is confined. It's an emotive term that is not entirely accurate.

But I do think that the effect in terms of shock/doscomfort an Australian family would feel moving into a 400-500 sqft apartment in HK is probably quite similar to how a cage dweller in HK feels moving from a 400-500 sqft apartment to a "cage". Its all relative.

And if you feel sorry for how HK treats its less fortunate in society, lets also spare a thought for our poor homeless cats and dogs, who are executed within 4 days after capture. At least our human citizens are not treated like that. These animals are truly "innocent" whereas at least with a human cage dweller, they are to some extent to blame for their own circumstances.
    I think they are literally cages designed not to keep people from leaving but to prevent others from steeling their stuff:
    Arkinet - Hong Kong's Cage Homes Cost A Fortune

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast