Like Tree142Likes

Buy Everything - The Sky Is Falling

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Buy Everything - The Sky Is Falling

Went to get some salt today and it's sold out at Wellcome, people are going nuts in there buying up rice, soy sauce, etc.. It's like Armageddon... one lady was telling me she won't sell a bag of salt for a 1000 bux to me even though she's got a pile in her trolley... I understand it's related to the Japan quake/radiation but still... hey I'm not surprised.

Seriously? Has anyone else seen this activity?

Once she has all that salt, where is she gonna go? Do those fancy new apartment clubhouses include Nuclear Fallout shelters?

Its because there is iodine in it....

Quote Originally Posted by AW2007:
    Its because there is iodine in it....
    Agree; since the news has been talking about the iodine pill. Got a call from my sister in-law and it's nuts as well at another Wellcome. I'm in NT btw.

when all this panic dies down - i can see the salt being flogged off in the classifieds !!!

There are reports all over the world from California to Sweeden, Australia about the iodine tablets.

Same thing with powdered baby milk formula. We usually buy a Japanese brand and its sold out at about 6 different places we looked. The guy at CitySuper said people are cleaning out the shelves buying as much as they can. I think it is unnecessary and panicky behaviour but since others are acting like this what are your options?

I will buy it from Australia instead. Not going to participate in the madness of fighting others for it in local stores.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

If true, this is similar to when people in Hong Kong and across the border were buying up, and boiling, vinegar to ward off germs.

The "iodine pill" only helps to protect the thyroid; it doesn't stop the effects of radioactive materials on the rest of the body. To get the amount of iodine from salt as from the pills, a person would have to take about half of the daily recommended amount of sodium.

How soon before we hear of some idiot becoming seriously ill from the over-digestion of salt?

From a bloomberg article:

Table salt does not contain enough of the type of iodine
    needed to block radioactive iodine from damaging a person’s
    thyroid gland and should not be taken as a substitute for
    potassium iodide pills, according to healthline.com, a U.S.-
    based health-information Web site.

......lol

What about tin foil? I've got alot of work to do.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast