Like Tree17Likes

Taxi Surcharge for baby stroller

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thanks all for the replies. I wasnt sure this is a standard in HK as i have taken many taxis before with my baby and stroller and not been charged. So you can understand my surprise when i was charged for the first time yesterday by the driver. Thanks Shri for the taxi fare outline, that's really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    surely for 5 dollars and the fact that taxis in hk are cheap compared rest of the world, do you really wanna still moan
    As i have mentioned in my post above, money isnt the issue here, it is the principle behind the charges. This is the first time i have come across a surcharge for putting anything in the boot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Usually anything that goes into the boot of the taxi is charged $5.
    Mother-in-law in the trunk is a $5 surcharge plus the cost of a good divorce lawyer.

i never paid for strollers.
    just to be on the "safe" side, only put the stroller in the cab of the taxi, not in the trunk/boot. that way, there is no way he can argue with you about charges.

Last edited by carang; 20-03-2011 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by katfroggatt:
    As i have mentioned in my post above, money isnt the issue here, it is the principle behind the charges. This is the first time i have come across a surcharge for putting anything in the boot.
    i am sure that it's the first time also that you come across a taxi in an non third world country that charges HK$18/US$2.5/GBP1.40 for the first 2km
    bookblogger likes this.

For the sake of $5 don't be so tight.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i never paid for strollers.
    just to be on the "safe" side, only put the stroller in the cab of the taxi, not in the trunk/boot. that way, there is no way he can argue with you about charges.

$ has a different significance to each person. who are you to judge whether that $5 is significant? taxis for me (after kids) was a big spend and a luxury.

as the op said, it isn't always about the charges... it's the principle of the thing.

that's why i put it in the cab of the taxi...$5 surcharge is for things that go in the boot. and for those things, i always paid and never had a problem with it.

ps> mobilty objects such as wheel chairs and crutches are not chargeable... a stroller IS a mobility device, similar to a wheelchair...so even that is up for argument.

Last edited by carang; 20-03-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Additional Charges
    Every baggage (except light personal hand baggage carried inside vehicle compartment) $ 5
    Wheelchairs and crutches carried by disabled passengers Free
    Every animal or bird $ 5
    Every hiring arranged through telephone booking $ 5

I reckon the taxi driver has the right to charge whether its put in the boot or inside the passenger compartment if I read the above correctly.

also the only free thing items for disabled passengers. I dont think strollers fits that description.

i havent' taken a taxi in years... but i guess that the wording has changed... if that is the current wording, my apologies. i was basing my experience on what the wording was (1) when i took taxis and (2) when my kids were small enough to require a stroller.

if this is the current wording, then yes, i would pay the $5...and no high horse involved.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast