De-humidifiers: Any Recommendations?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

De-humidifiers: Any Recommendations?

Want to buy as I have just moved to the Bay area where things are sososo damp.

Such a huge range, so many models, price ranging from $1500 to $5000. Any recommendations as to which is both reasonably-priced and good enough to remove the high humidity? China-makes work as well as the known brands?

My apt is 1200sq ft. Can one in sitting room do the job? or do I need one in each room if I have air-con on?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

I'm bummed, i think this one of the most important questions out in the forum and no one is responding i think one of the major drawbacks of moving to HK is the extreme humidity.

Unbranded, or "Fortress brand", works just fine. The air-con is a dehumidifier too. Two of them would be good though, to cover 1200 sq ft.

Quote Originally Posted by mummybee:
    Such a huge range, so many models, price ranging from $1500 to $5000. Any recommendations as to which is both reasonably-priced and good enough to remove the high humidity? China-makes work as well as the known brands?

My apt is 1200sq ft. Can one in sitting room do the job? or do I need one in each room if I have air-con on?
    I just purchased a dehumidifier so while I am no seasoned pro I can give you a little taste of my trial run. Now this information is from several sales people. I found nothing online as to specific specifications on dehumidifiers (unit size to sq ft size) which leads me to believe this is much like trying to compare bedding mattresses.

A 20L unit should be sufficient enough for a 1200sq ft space. I have a 20L unit and its working fine for 1500sq ft. I empty a 5.5 ltr container once per day, more if you do not turn on the exit fan when you shower, and if you intend to dry clothing indoors.

One unit can work in your flat, keep all room doors open. Place the unit centrally in your flat, (if you are able) I have also opened up the closet doors. Sometimes during the day I open up the dry food cabinets in the kitchen while i am not home.

I keep the windows of course shut and the a/c set to 26c and i find this setup quite comfy, clean and quite. One thing i did not realize is the air is cleaned by the dehumidifier as well and its a noticeable difference inside. I wish i had bought one when i first arrived.

Make sure the filters inside the unit can be washed or vacuumed easily and are not paper, which means they are hard to clean or cannot be cleaned and will need to be replaced.

The difference in pricing :
    ~Made in Japan $$$, Made in China $, Made in ___ $$, the units are really fairly simple in mechanics and don't have many parts. So look at noise, removal size and reservoir size, (also can you drain continuously). I think these are the main basic and necessary points to discuss.

For instance you now know to look at 20L size ... so that will automatically focus your attention on about 3 or 4 models in the store. Pick a retailer close to your home unless you have these delivered, they are heavy.

The Japanese models are very nice, but you pay.
    ~quiet, efficient and have nice little groovy LCD panels with many functions
    ~4000hkd was more than i wanted to spend for something i may just use seasonally.
    ~I wanted a simple unit to just turn on and felt I did not need all the different functions.
    ~THE most quiet for sure. I elected to place my unit in the hallway which is central in the apt so noise was not too much of a concern. In the bedroom I would have a different requirement for noise.

So what unit did buy ? I had been looking at Fortress, Jusco, WingOn and a couple other smaller places. Finally bought from WingOn a "Philco" model which is made in US/(China) 20Liter size for 2300hkd. For me the Philco was the smallest size as i wanted to put in the hallway, so its slim enough to walk past without a problem & near the bathroom so i can hookup the continuous draining system.

The Rowenta for the 20L was 700 more but almost silent and had more "control options", but bigger and will not fit in hallway. The Japanese Hitachi & Mitzubishi were 4000hkd range similar but slightly larger capacity.

We just bought one from ParkNshop. They have a 10L and 20L brand is Hyundai. Price is $799 and $1200. Seems to be working fine.

Which PnS ?

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    We just bought one from ParkNshop. They have a 10L and 20L brand is Hyundai. Price is $799 and $1200. Seems to be working fine.
    Which PnS ? I did not see any at my local PnS shop.

They have some in Cyberport ParkNShop, but I bought online and they delivered the next day.

http://www1.parknshop.com/WebShop/Br...p=10&sp=3&sp=4

We just bought DeLonghis from Fortress. One of the models had sold out, so don't wait too long to purchase because you might end up with whatever they have in stock.
    Bought the DeLonghi because they had a 5 year warranty on the compressor, the sales literature had a reasonable cubic metre guide and they look nice.
    I also looked on the internet and didn't find any great information. The fact that a Mitsubishi can handle a 5 room or was that "bedroom") British house really doesn't help.
    And you need a cubic measurement, since air is a volume and not an area. So a square measurement only works if everyone is talking about the same size ceilings (and we have at least 2 different ceiling heights in our apartment, plus a staircase). And the last complication is that walls/doors/staircases all serve to reduce the amount the mmachine can handle; a 100 cubic meter machine could do 100 cubic metres if it had that much unobstructed space.

mitsibushi are best but expensive

Excuse my ignorance, but like many other new arrivals I guess this is all new to me!

What happens if you don't have a dehumidifier? Do you just feel....humid or do your clothes and food and furniture get wrecked? How often do you have to turn/leave it on? Does it take up a lot of electricity? What size would I need for a 700 sq ft flat? Emptying the thing out sounds like a pain.

Thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast