Crazy travel idea

Crazy travel idea

I am trying to get my parents over here from Canada for a month or so, to see HK and China. I am going to take two weeks off work and want to spend a week in HK and a few days in either Guilin or Beijing. I figure a tour out of HK is easy enough... but here's the catch. I would like to bring along my girlfriend who is a mainlander working in Guangzhou (but she doesn't have a visa to travel to HK). Does anyone know if the tour companies might be able to facilitate joining a tour from a different originating location? Alternatively, I guess we could find a tour that leaves from GZ, but I don't know if it will be English speaking (or trustworthy). I know this is a rough one, so any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by rockyV
    I am trying to get my parents over here from Canada for a month or so, to see HK and China. I am going to take two weeks off work and want to spend a week in HK and a few days in either Guilin or Beijing. I figure a tour out of HK is easy enough... but here's the catch. I would like to bring along my girlfriend who is a mainlander working in Guangzhou (but she doesn't have a visa to travel to HK). Does anyone know if the tour companies might be able to facilitate joining a tour from a different originating location? Alternatively, I guess we could find a tour that leaves from GZ, but I don't know if it will be English speaking (or trustworthy). I know this is a rough one, so any advice appreciated.
    Looking for a suitable tour in GZ should be much easier.
    I guess your gf can interpret for you, can't she?
    She needs a visa to enter HK but I don't know how difficult the application would be.

Unless you want your girl frined translates every word for your family, you better book tickets and hotels by yourself. It is cheaper to fly from Shenzhen to Beijing or Guilin. Why don't you guys meet your gf in Shenzhen and travel together?

china travelling

maybe see if China Travel Service, or another agent, can help - inc flights from Shenzhen (you can take ferry to real close to the airport, then shuttle bus or taxi), and hotel(s)

Maybe consider Beijing and Guilin. Even if don't have tour once there, can fix things on arrival I think - consider talking with taxi drivers, negotiating day with taxi (or hotel or someplace may know of service where can hire vehicle with driver; even China Travel in HK worth asking re this)
    Beijing: Great Wall a decent day; Summer Palace good and can consider nearby Fragrant Hills, Sleeping Buddha Temple. In city, Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven among most worthwhile.
    Haven't been to Guilin for years; didn't like the city, but enjoyed Yangshuo to south (was then about hippy type traveller's place; dunno now) - a few of us hired a boat from yangshuo north, leaving early morn when river v quiet; en route, ran into procession of tourist boats from Guilin.
    Depends how your parents are, partly; I'm not one for organised tours - and if take own taxis, hardly just budget stuff.

HK permits now pretty easy for Guangzhou residents?

Your Chinese gf can transit HK visa free for 7 days. She must produce a valid air ticket and visa on the return trip (to Canada) when she leaves China and enters HK